Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my car redone in a few months. I'm painting it black base but want to put pearl blue over the whole car. My question is this, what is the difference if I use liquid pearl in the base or if I use dry pearl in the clear. What is going to be the difference in color and quality. Thanks
Chris

Please provide me with all your opinions. I look for options. What other pearls or metal flake will look good over a black base.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
My choice, neither. I'd run a 3rd stage of paint and do the pearl coats in a clear binder basecoat application. Do the basecoat of black, then do your light pearl layers with enough coats to get the look you are after and then follow it up with clear. I wouldn't mix the pearl in the base or clear, if you have any type of spraying problems with that method it could potentially be a big mess and you never really seem to get the same effect.

So either wet or dry pearls can be used.

I'd stongly suggest a spary out or test panel to get the look you are after before the car is shot for good. See how much pearl it'll take to get the look you are after.

There are tons of pearls out there, House of Kolor has a bunch of cool ones that can be applied over black as do many of the main manufacturers. I'm not a fan of pearls on black but most will go well with it. Personal preference in the end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts