Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am getting a dry ZEX kit for my car. It is WOT activated, but I was wondering how that works with an auto. If I hit it in 2nd gear and the car shifted into 3rd, all at WOT... what happens? The nitrous would still be flowing because I didnt take my foot off the gas. Is this harmful for my car or auto... for the tranny to shift during a N2O shot? What is your nitrous setup with autos? Thanks.

By the way, I will have an air/fuel guage and maybe a fuel pressure guage.

I also dont really understand what the NMU does... can someone explain.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I found out the answer to my initial question. I guess with autos, you just spray through the shift. Will I need to upgrade my injectors with a 100 shot? or 125? Is the stock fuel pump good for a 100shot? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
air/fuel is useless, it can say rich when you are really running too lean

your stock injectors may be fine if that cheazy zex box is upping fuel pressure enough

keep an eye on the fuel pressure while spraying...the stock pump may not be up to the task of raising fuel pressure for the dry shot

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just came from playing with mine...just put the 125 jets in (didn't feel like cheese).

I just rebuilt my aod and it shifts fast and hard. I think I would worry if the gears shifted slow...IMHO.

The NMU works by adjusting the fuel (using the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure reg) based on a bleed off valve it uses to monitor the nitrous pressure. The deal with Zex is that it's supposed to work with all stock equip.

I just upgraded my pump and tranny, so I don't have to worry about those, but those 11 year old injectors are creeping into my mind...there are 8 of them that could possibly go bad and perhaps blow it up if one squirted too lean.

I want a bottle heater next to keep the pressure up when the bottle gets low.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What guages would you recommend? I guess I am not getting the air/fuel guage anymore. Any other important guages that I should look into, or not bother? I am going to install the kit this weekend.

I was thinking that in order to use the kit with my auto, I could just flip the switch when I clear 2500rpms at WOT and then turn it off manually at around 5000rpms in each gear, just to be safe. Does this sound like a stupid idea?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't know about window switches, if someone could chime in that'd be great, but I think that will keep you spraying in the rpm range you'd like. I'm not sure how the window swtich is wired (if you need aftermarket ingition module or not). Someone?

I don't see myself effectively switching off and on at every gear. I had a couple of scary moments where my gears changed (2nd-3rd) at too high of a rpms for my comfort (tranny was screaming). Since it's WOT, just let off the gas a bit. You'll learn the point of activation as you use it more.

Remember start with stock timing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts