Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new shoes on my car last night (I NEVER want to do that again!) and I was wondering what, if anything, I need to adjust.
I got it all back together and it all looks right but now my parking brake doesn't really do anything. It just barely worked before I did the brakes. I'd have to pull it several times as hard as I could to make it grab.
I had to do the shoes because I had grinding coming from the right rear. Once I got it apart I saw that the front shoe (primary?) was worn to the rivets at the top but there was still plenty of meat towards the bottom.
I put it all back together and put the drums on and I had to drive it to work today. Everything seems to working fine except for the parking brake. Do I need to make any adjustments or is it all "automatic". Any ideas about the parking brake?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its reassembled incorrectly. Sorry to say that, and you should find somebody very familiar with that dinosaur setup. I cant really explain it, but the cable is not routed right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Get a Haynes manual. I used one when I replaced the pads and all the springs,retainers and every other drum brake part.:idunno:

·
Registered
746 Posts
If it is put together right, then you may have to adjust the rear brakes. You can do this by turning the gear type wheel adjuster. There should be a rubber cover on the lower portion on the backside of the drum. Remove that rubber cover and then use a flathead drewscriver to turn the gear wheel. What you want is to have a slight rubbing of the shoes when you turn the rear wheels. At this point, the shoes are adjusted to their optimum and your e-brake should work fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts