Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting at work, ive been meaning to start workin the kinks out of my car, i figured with the mods i have it was time to upgrade the ignition, and i got the electric fan, cause i heard it frees up some extra power, and im in SE georgia, so its really hot, and im running around 210 with a 160 stat.

i bought the MSD 6AL with a blaster coil, MSD cap & rotor and 8.5mm wires. the electric fan is the flex-a-lite fan in the 5.0 section in Summit.

what kind of improvments do you guys think i'll see??? --here are my current mods..

Windsor JR heads (Milled 10.5:1 compression), 1.6 Aluminum Roller Rockers, GT40 Intake, B-303 Cam, 24lb injectors, 190 lph Fuel Pump, Mac Equal Length Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster 2 Chambers, Spec Stage I clutch, Tremec TR3550 5 Speed, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Aluminum Drive Shaft, 3.55's Auburn Posi Unit, Mooser 31 Spline Axles, C Clip Eliminators, Saleen Racecraft Suspension, Kenny Brown Sub Frame Connectors, and a K&N air filter (in my stock air box... connected to my stock throttle body)

In two weeks when i get paid again, im gonna get longtubes and a mac pro-chamber.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
MSD might be worth something, but past your HP peak probably. I guess the general consensus is the electric fan is worth ~ 8 HP over a clutch fan (maybe 15 over a flex fan :evil: ), and what they hey I'll give the MSD setup a solid 1 HP, call it 10 if you're lucky?

:cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
As hot as your car is running, you should think about getting the Mark8 fan. More difficult to make fit and takes more juice, but they blow like no other. If you are looking for improvements in performance I wouldn't expect much. Ignitions are pretty much a waste on a combo like ours (see my sig, our cars probably match up fairly well). You may see a few hp from the ignition and a few from the removal of the mechanical fan. On that note, I wouldn't expect any better cooling from the electric fan. It sounds like you may have other issues if you are running that hot. There is plenty of debate whether a 160* thermostat will make your car run any cooler. What kind of radiator are you using? Perhaps your radiator should be addressed first. This and a 180*stat may help solve your problem. I can run my car all day long and idle in 95* weather with a fair amount of humidity with my setup and not see more than 190* if driving hard. It will settle to about 180* with normal cruising. If you are using the stock radiator, you could have a condition where the thermostat is in the open position too much and the coolant is not getting enough dwell time in the radiator to cool it down. This is why a better radiator along with a 180* stat may solve your problem.
I'm sure with your compression being about 1 point higher than mine, you will run a little warmer than me but shouldn't be much.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im using a 3 core radiator. i wasnt looking for power gains from the MSD, just some smoothness, and i cant seem to burn all my fuel. it burns your eyes when your behind the car at idle. i also want to bring my rev limiter up from 6250. is it safe to rev a stock bottom end (+TRW forged pistons) to 7000 RPM? I will be changing the heads and putting an S-Trim on the car within 6 months, so the MSD was a wise investment either way.

with the electric fan, everyone i talked to said to get one, and forget the clutch fan... i only know what i hear. and with the 180 stat, i was running about the same Temp

also, im keeping my A/C. i havnt used it yet, cause it needs a re-charge

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Sound like a good combo I would add some water wetter to my rad if i was you , but this could only be a bindaide for the problem . It drop my temp by 10 degress

1 - 8 of 8 Posts