Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was under my car tonight tightening up my exhaust. With the back tires up in the air, i spun the driveshaft by hand. And when i did it there is a clunk noise, there is some play in it when i turn it before it catches, and when it catches is when i hear the clunk when it starts to turn the gears, cause of the play. Is there supposed to be play? The driveshaft moves roughly 1/4-1/2 freely before it catches the gears and the tires move. Is this ok? should i get it checked out?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes there should be some play in your rear end.
Does it clunk when you are driving?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it doesnt clunk when im driving, but when i first move from a dead stop sometimes it will make a slight clunk. The clunk was from the play when i turned it by hand and when it caught it went clunk which seems normal, jsut wasnt sure if the play was normal.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
perfectly normal.. relax.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Play sounds a little excessive. I've never been in a standard that was working properly that had a clunk from that much differential play before. Might be fine, but it would make me a little paranoid about matting it from a stop. Do you notice the play on the highway going from accel/decel and vice versa? I like a nice tight response to my foot and made sure my diff was shimmed to the low side of the tolerable level. High side gets more fluid between the gears, but low side will take a better beating from less play in the gears :evil:

Lon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts