Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having trouble getting my POS drive shaft bolts off. I was wondering what ideas you gear heads have in mind to get them off.

P.s I used liquid wrench and I have a fair amount of strength.

Thanks,

Remus

·
Registered
831 Posts
I always use a good 12mm 12pt socket on a long 3/8'ratchet. You can usually get a prybar in between the yoke and u-joint to hold the driveshaft in place. I've yet to have to heat one up, but if you have to-- torches will definitly help.
Good luck

BTW-- Why ya gotta quote Vanilla Ice???? He may have had good taste in cars in the early 90's, but man, thats where it ends :(

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Heat is your friend! The factory bolts have thread locker on them that is supposed to be heated to release it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Just like heat is your friend, so is the search function. This question has been asked so many times its just ridiculous. But anyways, a nice propane torch does wonders along with a ratcheting 12mm wrench. Just be careful wih the torch, dont wanna start burning up stuff that you shouldnt

·
Registered
454 Posts
i always just get a 12mm 12pt and use my foot to push on it.....always works for me

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas!

I will give it a try, hope it works!

Hay backseetluva

Yea, I know most people today aren't Vanilla Ice fans, but, whats intresting to know is that most people, one time or another were. As I dont want to generlize, I believe it was genertation x.

I know this is a mustang forum but, its unfortunate that people look back on music groups and bash them for whatever reason insted of taking them for what they were at the time and appreciating it.

Irrespective of Vanilla Ices ( Robert V Winke) crediability he's still musically talented. Furthermore, the totality and the impact of his music ( like it or not) made it so that 1990s goes hand in hand with his silly name. Thats a major accomplishment in my book. :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Make sure you put the red stuff on the threads when re-installing. Those bolts can come loose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hola Gents,

Again, thank you for the help. When I have some free time, it will be pleasurable to implement these ideas.

Sorry timmy2734, for the aggravation that I seem to cause for seeing another " drive shaft bolt removal thread." Usually I use the search function, but in this case, due to the simplicity involved, the serch function eclipsed my mind.
:D

Remus

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
in reguards to the search function yes it is there and yes we should ALL use it more. But one possitive when we don't is that others can read the thread and maybee benefit from it. And as far as reading another thread of soemthing yu have seena bunch before, you already knwo this from teh thread's title so why bother even reading it. ohh I know why we bother reading it, we are on here to give help and receive help. And we will see for teh rest of the life of this message board the same questions asked again and again. I for one will always answer where i can to help who ever asks a question out that I can. no matter how many times it is asked. FL1-A Yes a little heat from a tourch will help lossen the threadlock and for you to get the bolts out.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Here's a tip I got from another forum - I just replaced my clutch so had to do get my d/s off. I also don't have propane, but I do have a floor jack!! Simply put on a 12 point socket, slide the floor jack underneath the socket handle and use the jack to break the bolts loose. Works like a charm. No brute strength involved either so no shredded knuckles etc.

Good luck

Howard

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here's another, be sure to mark the position as to get it back in the same position. Bad vibes have been known to happen if you don't.

Chris

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I wasnt trying to come off liek an ass or anything, but its just soemthing that has been asked alot and for the most part, the search function helps you get answers faster than if you have to wait for others to respond.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts