Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have tips? How many per side? Can I just screw the backs? What about balance'n them?

Weld drag lites with 27-11.50x15's

thanks

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I used 8 per side... which is 16 per wheel.

Balancing was not an issue... Just use the stick on weights on the inside which is the way they should be done anyway.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have never balanced slicks, never had a problem.

Rob

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks........... I figure at 130+ I should have them balanced. Really just wanted to screw the backs of the rims. But it needs to be done right...............

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
When you are running tubes or are starting to cut decent 60 ft times (say, < 1.70) without tubes then screws should be considered. The rim can actually spin inside the tire. If you have tubes the stem is screwed to the rim and rips out if the rim spins inside the tire - instant right or left turn on the launch as the tire goes flat!

You can install screws with the tires mounted if you are careful. Do both sides.

I always balance my slicks. A small imbalance @ 100+ mph becomes significant. Use stick on weights on the inside of the rim and some duct tape over the weights to help hold them in place.

Do the back side screws first. While you are learning and make mistakes the mistakes will be hidden. Trick is to drill the hole the correct distance and correct angle away from the edge of the rim so that the screw head doesn't hit the rim.

Here's some more info:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/43059/index1.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts