Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of gt40p heads and I'm putting them on my daily driven stang. Does anybody have any info or links to any pages that cover drilling the heads so they will accept the emissions equipment? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35,621 Posts
They should already be equipped to accept emissions equipment - they were OEM on the Cobras and late model Explorers. Are you sure you have P's?

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
they came off a late model explorer, and they are the P's

do you have to have them set up for the smog? it would be next to impossible for a smog station to get all up in there and see u had the P heads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the P heads but haven't installed them yet. I wanted to run them smog legal to keep from having any problems with the smog police. As I did my research, I found that most people just run them without the EGR and smog equipment installed and still pass emissions.

I called Central Coast Mustang about having them drill the heads for me and they said they would. I can't remember how much but it wasn't too bad. I checked with a couple of local places and they didn't have a clue to what I was talking about. I didn't know that in order for the EGR to work, there has to be a couple holes in the back of the head AND a hole in each exhaust port. The air that is injected into the exhaust is what helps the un burned fuel burn or something. The Explorer's didn't use that set up, they had external EGR. Anyway, it seemed very complicated and expensive, considering I would have to ship those heavy iron heads there and back, plus remove all the valves and springs, plus the cost of drilling. It would have been several hundred dollars cheaper to just buy the heads from CCM in the first place.

When I found out that I could still pass the sniffer test with the heads, I didn't want to spend the extra money. I will probably keep the smog pump on the engine running to the cats, but I will not have it connected to the heads. The smog Nazis do a visual check here too.

There are several guys on here who have done it already, keep watching and they will probably help you out.

Good Luck,

Clint

1 - 4 of 4 Posts