Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find info on the Dr gas x-pipes (like kit #'s, who to order from, ect...). I currently run a BBK off road h-pipe. I've heard that the Dr Gas X-pipe gives more torque? Anybody have experience with both? Differences?

Also...besides the Dr gas website...is there anywhere else that I could get info on what part number I'd be looking to order for a 97 Cobra?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i have a Dr. Gas on my 99 Cobra.

It makes great power for just having exhaust and cat-back (yes, the paper filter is still there)

i put down 297rwhp/292rwtq (have dyno sheet if interested)

dr. gas website www.drgas.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sinner,

When you bought it was there a particular part # that you used? Based on what I see on the site...I don't see any part #'s? I just see basic kits? Did you have to get it welded or can clamps be used?

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Go with the DrGas

<---- Another DrGas owner, previous Hpipe owner.

The sound of an X is so much more befitting of a Cobra as well... A good set of headers will really compliment that xpipe as well :D

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Steve J said:
Hey Sinner,

When you bought it was there a particular part # that you used? Based on what I see on the site...I don't see any part #'s? I just see basic kits? Did you have to get it welded or can clamps be used?

Thanks for the info...
they CAN be clamped, but welding is recommended. mine is clamped right now, i have no exhaust leaks.

just call up Dr. Gas and they will take care of everything for you

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am emissions exempt because I drive less than 5K/year. I have a bassani x-pipe with cats. Is it worth the switch to Dr. Gas off road x or no? Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No its defenitly not worth it. Bassani is by far the best quality wise. Performance wise, they are right up there with DrGas...The only restriction is the cats, if you want, just ditch them....And you'll have a Bassani o/r x

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
4VMENACE said:
No its defenitly not worth it. Bassani is by far the best quality wise. Performance wise, they are right up there with DrGas...The only restriction is the cats, if you want, just ditch them....And you'll have a Bassani o/r x
bassani's look a little better, but as for what i've seen dr. gas's perform better, and sound better.

the x on the dr. gas x-pipe is farther forward than it is on a bassani pipe, which helps to build more power.

both are good pipes, dont get me wrong, but i had to choose between them, it would still be a dr. gas.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Dougg said:
The dr. gas seems a little expensive for mild steel with aluminized coating. I went with bassani for the stainless steel Doug
yea, its a little pricey, no doubt, but performance is there.

in dyno test, the dr. gas puts down 25rwhp on a otherwise stock 99-01 cobra

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got 15rwhp w/lts and a dr gas over my previous o/r H, so I don't see 26rwhp, that was a fluke... If it was consistant, every1 would have a 300rwhp Cobra with just an xpipe :D

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i'm gonna have to disagree..while everyone may not produce same numbers due to conditions, i as well as the test in MM&FF produced similar numbers

i dyno'd 297/291 from a x-pipe and cat-back with the paper filter still in place..

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The guy I did the live axle swap with gained 21rwhp and 23rwtq, with a stock GT catback, and most other parts still stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But the bottom line is, if you order from Dr Gas, they will get you a 'bolt on' kit...meaning I'll be supplied with all the parts needed to do the job in my garage, and if I choose later to have it welded that can be done at a muffler shop? I currently have a exhaust clamp on my BBK off road pipe with no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts