Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it worth the $300 bucks, plus the extra costs for welding? I'm having a hard time finding a used one for sale, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just say screw it and get some cheap H-pipe. I know the dr. gas sounds cool, but does it really out-perform enough to be worth the cost?
Anyone have dyno/track data?
The Flowtech almost looks like the same thing...worse quality, but same idea (crossover tube under the tranny)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have Dr. Gas X-pipe with a Vortech and to be honest I can't tell all that much difference. I originally got the pipe to get rid of the god awful sound my Bassani O/R was making. Well it at least sounds great now. It really roars.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response....they're hard to come by on this site.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have on w/bbk lts it sounds great. I switched from a mac o/r h w/mac catback to the dr gas and bbk lts, then onto the catback, I picked up 15rwhp over the o/r h and mac.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was planning to get the Dr Gas as I do believe they make more power than bassani, BBK, magnaflow X's, but I got a good deal on a magnaflow w/cats and it is a noticeable improvement over stock h-pipe. I like the design of the Dr Gas over the others, i.e. the size of the crossover oval and the quality is definitely good, although some of the others are stainless. I guess it wasn't worth the extra hundred bucks+ for a few horsepower to me. CB

·
Registered
465 Posts
The X junction on the Dr Gas pipe is very close to the headers, much closer than the other X-pipes.. I wonder if this is one of the reasons they perform a little better?

-Zach

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
key said:
The X junction on the Dr Gas pipe is very close to the headers, much closer than the other X-pipes.. I wonder if this is one of the reasons they perform a little better?

-Zach
This is the exact reason that they perform better. They even guarantee that their pipe will make more power than any other xpipe.

Now if you have longtubes, then you might as well just get the VRS. With longtubes the crossover is near the same spot with both pipes, plus the VRS comes with bungs and it bolts right in for less money and heartache.

Lloyd

·
Registered
480 Posts
SloSVT is right on the money. The closer the cross-over to the primary's the better the performance. The reason why mid-pipes with cats are farther back is because it's a federal law the cross-over cannot be in front of the cats. On O/R pipes most stay farther back to avoid the tranny and ground clearance.

key said:

-Zach

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lloyd- you have a response in the classifieds.
He's right. If you have LT's like I did, the VRS is going to throw the crossover practically in the same area as the Dr.Gas would.
Those LT's cant be messed with and I'm gunna miss them :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hmm.. I wonder how much different a shorty header and dr gas x would sound compared to my dr gas with bbk lts, I bought this thing b/c I heard of its great sound/power, I like it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
i believe that they do make a difference. i have simple
bolt-ons on my cobra and compared to most other cobras '96-98 with similar mods, my dyno numbers are a tad bit higher.

i have a video/file of the dr.gas and borla xr-1 combo if you want to hear it. email me if you like [email protected].

·
Registered
894 Posts
A friend of mine got a dr gas for his gt and it didnt help him at all. He has the holley systamax II kit and it ran the same numbers before and after the change. It also sounded like an h-pipe at idle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts