Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know if an after market flywheel such as the 50oz RAM billet steel needs dowel pins?

·
Registered
257 Posts
my dowel pins would not go in the flywheel for anything, we beat on them forever. We ended up not using them, haven't had any problems. Just make sure you line up the flywheel's bolt holes right, they only go one certain way. We then lined up the pressure plate as if the dowels were in, just in case though.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

I wouldn't think it needs any sorta of dowel pin.

anyone else with this flywheel?

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to install it like this

hopefully i dont have any vibration problems

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
You really DO need the dowel pins because the pressure plate bolts are NOT designed to take the shear loads like the dowel pins are. The material of the flywheel makes no difference. Someone saying they haven't had a problem with it "yet" is the same as saying I smoke, but I don't have cancer yet.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MFE said:
You really DO need the dowel pins because the pressure plate bolts are NOT designed to take the shear loads like the dowel pins are. The material of the flywheel makes no difference. Someone saying they haven't had a problem with it "yet" is the same as saying I smoke, but I don't have cancer yet.
where were you two days ago when i needed to know this?
:D

it's too late now the tranny/motor is already in

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Take the time to pull the trans and put the dowel pins in. Like MFE said the bolts are not designed to absorb the torque. Don't be siuprised if you have a jumping clutch pedal without them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've made about 10 launches on slicks and nitrous so far on my clutch with no problems. Best 60 ft. was a 1.77 so far. What's going to happen if the bolts break? I'm thinkin about leaving it until it goes if it ever does...

·
Registered
35 Posts
i dont have a ram but i have a cat flywheel and when i got mine there were no holes for dowel pins. All the holes were threaded (theyre were alot by the way) maybe for different types of clutches. So i guess i dont need them... so a total of 9 bolts are needed to bolt down the clutch. If anything i can get like grade 8 bolts. I think itll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts