Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're going to crap but here goes......
I'm to the point that I don't like where my 89lx is. Yes its cool and I've learned a TON!, ( cutting it apart then putting it back together)but I want some drivability AND good power. As I've been going, it has always been about max ET at all cost. Now I have a carbed, mini tubed car that hooks like gangbusters and should easily run in the 11's(2 weeks from sunday I'll verify that!). BUT... It sucks to drive. It has all drag suspension, mini tubs, spooled rear, carbed, manual steering, cage to climb over, etc.....I once thought all that stuff was real cool, however my views have changed. My new job has me traveling 20 miles instead of 1 mile, and I'd like to take it on some nice days. I can't put my son in it(no back seat) nor take my wife and kid out for a cruise( same reason).
So...new plan.....

My wife has a cherry '90 gt, it is a sweet custom red, with BLACK interior(bonus!!!)..and she wants a 'vert(Keeping it stock to drive daily).....So....
-I'm thinking of putting my 331/tremec combo in the GT and keeping the efi. Edelbrock RPM efi intake or similar and all the stuff to support the 331/afr combo(you fill in the blanks here)
-No cage, just bracing the underside.
-keep my welds wheels(15X10- 275/50s in back, 15X5's (195/65 tires in front)
-Loose but streetable suspension
-built rear, but eaton posi- NO spool.
-putting my usable stuff back in(gauges, etc...)
-putting my 4" cowl hood on it, keeping the mach one hood for the 'vert.
Then selling my '89 as a rolling chassis or putting in my old stock 302 and a cheap 5 sp and selling it running to help fund all of this.

My goals are to have a low 12 / high 11 second, DRIVABLE car with all the creature comforts.

AM I CRAZY?????????

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Shifter said:
AM I CRAZY?????????

No, just one of many that I have run into recently. This seems to be the coming thing, getting away from the drag oriented car and back to an all-around performer.

On the wheels I think I'd suggest going with the same size at all four corners. This helps tire life by allowing rotation and a wider rim up front will aid in real world cornering ability without taking damage (bent rim, etc). Never know what you might run into and it sucks being paranoid all the time.

I might also suggest just leaving th GT's drivetrain pretty much as is and using a power adder. That should broaden the GT's flexibility while getting the projected power. Done properly there should be almost no detectable degradation of driveabilty while still being plenty of fun when you mash the loud pedal.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i understand where your coming from,im building a 347 and will be putting the a/c and p/s back on just cause its not as fun to drive anymore.

btw you should still be able to run 11's

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, anyone interested in a mini-tubbed, caged rolling chassis???

For those reading along, what would my car, minus the engine and trans be worth??

thanks

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TTT

·
Registered
696 Posts
Shifter - That is an awesome idea. Get back to basics. I am trying to build a high ten natural car and high 9 on juice ride at the same time. But 99% of the time it will ride on Pony rims and nitto drags. I also refuse to put a cage in it. Iwill only get a few runs at the track each time due to getting kicked out, but I don't care. It is my sleeper/weekend cruiser. Not track only beast.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, I'm now having trouble talking my wife out of her 90GT, so I may be in search of a new candidate. I'm thinking of either a '90-93 GT or the same year notch.

....you know how hard it is to find a V-8, 5 speed car in decent shape even remotely affordable?????? I can't believe what some people are asking $$$$$$$!!!!

Anyway my thoughts are:
My KCR 331, TFS Stage 2 cam, AFR 185 heads, PLUS....Victor 5.0 intake, 76mm C&L Meter and 30 lb injectors. 190lph or 255 intank pump and ??? size TB, and ??? brand FPR.(help me out here?- Remember I've been doing the Carb thing for 4 years now)

Is the victor 5.0 too aggressive??

Come on, how about your thoughts here. Keep in mind, my next project will be a STREET Car, with a STRIP attitude. I'm still going to use my 4" cowl hood and my 10" wide rear welds(or go to 9") and 5" wide fronts, but retain all the comforts.

It won't be a daily driver, but I do want to drive it!! (11 sec, potential too.....If I'm not asking too much)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey shifter, I would love to buy that rolling chassis but dont have the money. Ive seen them go for $1000-3000 depending on condition.
Jonathan

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Shifter said:
Is the victor 5.0 too aggressive??
I've seen a few dyno test articles over the years and the Victor has yet to out-power anything on a 5 liter. Granted the engines used were more street oriented but that's the point here isn't it? Basically the Victor is a race intake and should be used as such.

I still say put a blower on it :D

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
yep

yep, put you a mild s trim, or equal size power adder, and you will be in the 11's no problem, that is if you can get it to hook up, it would be a nice setup, very easy to drive around, and then oncve you get into boost, a real runner,, i would go with just a ported gt-40, cobra, or one of the smaller tfs intakes with 70 mm t/b, just my .02 by the way, that is one nice hatchback you have, what are you asking for it?

·
Registered
452 Posts
if you want a very streetable 10-low 11 second car, put a power adder on that stock motor you have siting around (10# of boost will get you there w/ heads, long runner intake, and mild cam). NA cars at the same horsepower level are not as friendly on the street.
The cam need not be as wild, and at low cruising rpms the boost is relatively nonexistant(fuel economy, engine temp, and strain). Thats just my .02 cents though.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, since I've started this post my thoughts have changed.

I have a couple interested parties in my car complete.

If/when it sells, my plan is to get a nice clean stockish notch, and put on a S-trim.
To begin with I think I'll do exhaust, mass air, injectors, etc...along with some body fortifying(connectors, control arms, rear work.....) and the s-trim.
basically...Set the car up the way I want, and then as funds allow later add the intake, cam, and heads.

thanks for the replys

for those interested in the complete car, it is the '89 lx in my sig below. I have a couple offers in the $11,500 area for the complete running car. Add it up-someone is going to get a steal of a car for that $$$$$$
e-mail me for all the details if interested:
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts