Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing spring install. I got the bolt out and the spring on, not having as much luck with passenger side as driver side. any tips on aligning the holes to bolt the irs back to the frame?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You may have to use a come-a-long or small hand winch anchored to the front suspension and then tied to the IRS subframe to pull it enough to get the bolt started. I assume you took out the front two bolts and pivoted the subframe down from the front to unload the springs?

Next time just take the control arm loose at the knuckle.

Joe

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took off the two bolts on the side, one front and one back. I'm not too familiar with the irs to know what it is called, but it looks like a control arm, so that could be it. The frame and the arm stay in the same spot relative to each other. no matter how I raise or lower the car.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yea it may be tuff to realign like that. I know when we did the Solid swap in my car, when we were putting the IRS in the 01 Vert it wasnt had at all, the bolts were a little tuff to get through but they fell right in.

What is your doing to where it wont realign?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hopefully you're finished by now, but if not, here's a linky to the CORRECT instructions on IRS bushing installation:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/instructions/MMIRSU-1r2.pdf

To make a long story short, remove the two rear bushings first, then remove the two front bushings, then after you have intsalled the new bushings, raise the front into position, then raise the rear into position.

On Edit: Just re-read your post and I'm a little confused. You don't need to remove the IRS bolts for a spring install. The instructions should be helpful. Sorry dude.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after three gruelling days and over 17 hours under the car, I had a shop do it. Just couldn't get the right "twist" on the geometry to make the passenger side go in. But, now its lwered like it shoulda been form the factory and handles much better than stock. Now its time for subframe connectors and a strut tower brace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts