Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you please post your thoughts/impressions about your choice. Also if you don't mind, please put your numbers(HP/TQ/track) in here as well. And finally if you have any advice for someone that is looking into getting one of these type of poweradders.

Would ported/polished heads add substancially to the power?

Thanks in advance.

Mony

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any1?

n/m

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kenne Bell Blower

I've got a KB blower on my 98 cobra. I made 404 rwhp and 390 rwtq. It is a great blower, especially for the street. Even at 2000 rpms, there is LOTS of power. I am going to install a set of L/T very soon, and hope to make closer to 430-440 rwhp. Very easy install (just basically remove the intake).

Paul

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help.

Is there only 1 KB blower for our cars? Also, what else did you have done? MAF? Injectors? Etc... Are there any belt slippage issues? I read somewhere that someone said you should carry an extra belt because of some belt "shredding". What is this and is it an issue?

Thanks again,

Mony

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mony,

There is only the one KB blower, it's a good choice for a blower, and it makes very respectable power levels. It might not make the peak power that a vortech would, but it will make more power under the curve.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: Thanks for the help.

I have never had any belt slipping issues at all. In fact, I haven't even heard of this problem at all with KB blowers.

I installed a Lightning MAF, 42# injectors, and a 255 lph pump. That's pretty much it.

I actually have a graph of my 98 KB cobra vs. a 98 ATI cobra. We both made about the same peak power, but at lower rpms, I have over 70 rwtq more. The difference is quite dramatic actually. If you're interested, I can try to send it to you.

Paul

Mony said:
Is there only 1 KB blower for our cars? Also, what else did you have done? MAF? Injectors? Etc... Are there any belt slippage issues? I read somewhere that someone said you should carry an extra belt because of some belt "shredding". What is this and is it an issue?

Thanks again,

Mony

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I thought KB makes different size blowers for Cobras, 1.8L, 2.3L, 3.3L?

Jerome

·
Registered
321 Posts
KB blowers

Yes and no... I believe KB only sells the 1.5L blower with their "kit", but you can order a larger blower and mount it to the intake. I'm not sure they will sell you the kit along with the 2.2L without having to pay for the 1.5L, but it is worth a try.

Paul

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul-

Please send me the ATI comparison. You can e-mail it to [email protected]

Do you know of the best place to buy a KB from? Is KB direct the best way to go?

Thanx,

Mony

·
Registered
439 Posts
I believe that KB blowers are a safer way to go if engine life is a priority. It's probably the way I wil go.

Has anybody blown their engines with a KB?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I will try to locate and mail you the comparison.

As far as which blower is safer... here is a few things to consider. The main benefit to a KB blower is that there is so much low end power, it really isn't necessary to wind-out the engine to 7000 rpms. The other benefit (which is not unique to KB) is the fact that the blower oil is self contained, that way there is no risk of contaminates getting into your engine oil. These two facts, alone, are probably the only reasons they **might** be safer.

Having said that, I do know of some people who blew up their engines with KB blowers. These people will likely chim-in, but it wasn't due to the blower, but rather lack of fuel or too much boost. This is a "problem" with ANY power adder... once you get a taste of power, you ALWAYS want more!

-Paul

stricky said:
I believe that KB blowers are a safer way to go if engine life is a priority. It's probably the way I wil go.

Has anybody blown their engines with a KB?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd love a copy of that ATI vs. KB blower dyno sheet too, please.

[email protected]

I am interested in putting a blower on my 98 Cobra, this may make my decision. 70 ft.lbs is nothin to laugh at.

Can you still get good mileage with your foot out of it like a centrifugal, or is it always there like a roots?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, you can still get good gas mileage. FYI: ANY blower (or turbo for that matter) shouldn't really affect mpg that much. When cruising down the highway, you are always in vacum. Accordingly, the only reason mpg will suffer is 1) the car typically runs richer 2) you must spin the blower. Roots blowers are MUCH harder to spin than whipple blowers. I can EASILY spin mine with my hand. In fact, I read (can't verify) that it only takes about 1 hp to spin the KB blower (remember, a KB spins max at about 12,000 rpms vs. 50,000+ for a centrifugal blower).

Paul

5.0SHO77 said:
I'd love a copy of that ATI vs. KB blower dyno sheet too, please.

[email protected]

I am interested in putting a blower on my 98 Cobra, this may make my decision. 70 ft.lbs is nothin to laugh at.

Can you still get good mileage with your foot out of it like a centrifugal, or is it always there like a roots?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: mods

I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but ALL I have for mods are 42# injectors (don't add any power) a 90mm MAF (again, doesn't add any power), a 255 lph pump (no power gain) (all this was just so I wouldn't need an FMU) and a BBK h-pipe with cats (admittedly adds some power, but not as much as an x pipe without cats). I don't think this is many mods. I still have the stock POS manifolds (hopefully not for long :) and stock TB and no water/alcohol injection (again, soon to be rectified hopefully).

I made 404 rwhp with 390 rwtq. At 2000-2500 rpms, I have well over 350 rwtq.

Paul

gtrout said:
I have a 96 cobra also. I was suprised at your dyno numbers with all of the mods that you have.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bright Blue Cobra, those are some NICE numbers for a 4.6L engine.

I thought reasons blower cars suffered were of course bigger injectors, restriction of inlet when boost is not being applied), and the power taken to spin them. I like the looks of the KB setups because they are clean, not a lot of bracketry is hanging off and they don't look to be as tall as a roots.

Are there aftercoolers available for KB setups? Similar to say a 01 5.4L supercharged Lightning?

This is crazy, these engines are awesome!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paul-

About the alcohol/water injection. What is the prupose of this? Is it just like acting like an intercooler? Is this required? Dose the KB produce a lot of heat? Will it cause me problems since i do live in TX where it gets pretty hot? Is there an intercooler that is available? Would that help? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to gain a lil knowledge.

Mony

·
Registered
321 Posts
5.0SHO77 and Mony:

Supposedly KB is in the process of designing an intercooler similar to the Lightning and Saleen intercooler. I haven't heard whether it is available yet, I'd suggest calling KB and asking them.

It is necessary... no, not really, but it depends on how much boost you want to run. You are limited to about 11 lbs without some sort of cooling. This is where the water/alcohol injection comes in. SMC makes a really nice water/alcohol injection kit. This kit is really popular with the Turbo Buick Boys. Aquamist, spearco, etc. also make kits. The really nice thing about the SMC kit is its cost... $350 (compare that to an intercooler!). This is probably the route that I'm going because of cost. Basically, water (or preferrably water and alcohol) are injected into the air. It vaporizes, reduces air temp, and the alcohol has the added benefit of acting like an octane boost. This will allow you to run either more timing or more boost. It is not really necessary (I've run my car in 90+ degree heat and haven't had any problems), but will definitely help.

Paul

Mony said:
Paul-

About the alcohol/water injection. What is the prupose of this? Is it just like acting like an intercooler? Is this required? Dose the KB produce a lot of heat? Will it cause me problems since i do live in TX where it gets pretty hot? Is there an intercooler that is available? Would that help? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to gain a lil knowledge.

Mony

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bright Blue Cobra

Could you look at my signature and explain what else I should (stuff that you would reccommend) get for my car in addition to the KB 1500 kit... I would like around 400 rwhp & whatever 400+ TQ if possible.

I am assuming 42lb injectors, re-calibrate MAF for the 42lbs, MSD ignition??? Or would a boost-a-spark be better? New plugs, wires, etc... 255 lph in tank/in line fuel pump???? I'm not exactly sure whihc one I need???

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.