Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I push in the clutch on my 99 Cobra to shift, the revs don't come down right away when I let my foot off the gas. There is a delay and after a second or two the revs finally begin to drop.

This is annoying and makes it hard to shift and let out the clutch smoothly when you don't know where the revs are going to be. Especially when going into the higher revs. Is it just my car or do they all do this, and is there a cure? Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome to the club. That is the computer doing it due to high emission levels during decel.

If I drive mine normal it does not do it. But jump on it and it will do it. Tap the gas pedal like you do during downshifting and it will stop.

NFS

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My 97 Cobra does the same thing between shifts, but it also does it when pushing in the clutch to come to a stop. Even fi my RPMs are below 2000, when I push in the clutch, the RPMs jump to about 2000 for about 5-6 sec.s. Don't think my TB is sticking. Did you find a cure? PLEASE let me know if you do. Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Do you guys have the A/C on when this is happening. I've found that mine does this as well but can turn the A/C off and the revs come down immediately. If not, check your IAC (idle air controller) to see if its sticking. Just unbolt it from the manifold and spray carb cleaner in there to clean it out. Then bolt it back up and try it again.

John

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
actually i fixed mine by turning the idle screw in a couple turns. the computer picked up the idle to where it was supposed to be and it doesnt hang as long between shifts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.