Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An
went through my head today...

The cooling is perfectly fine from what I can see on a stock motor and most street blower combos. But looking at the pic I took of my engine I'm building (below), I question the need to drill the water jackets a bit larger.

Short story: Car will be mostly street drive. Will see a lot of Open Track events. Boost level is, well, over 20psi. ;)

I was wondering if I drill out the water holes in the head gaskets to flow more water into the heads, would it be noticable? Most likely will just leave it as-is. But wondering if anyone else out there has thought of/done it?

The theroy I have is that under long 20 or 30 minute Open Track sessions, for even more prevention f heat-soaking the motor, would be to cool the heads a bit more. It would affect the intake runners as well, as water passes around them. Try to imagine long-term, 1 or 2 hours at a time, abuse on the motor. The extra cooling would make sense.

Just a thought... Oh, and very much considering getting an electric water pump for the car as well.

Eric

·
Registered
941 Posts
I personally would not modify the internal cooling system.

If you are using the car for open tracking I would highly recommend a bigger oil pan that will hold a couple of more quarts, then a big Oil cooler( also helps with the blowers internal oil temps).

Then if you are very frequently going I would add a fron mount Air to Air intercooler for the blower.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts