Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is my first post on this forum but anyway, got my cobra out tinight and was sitting around (idealing) wait on some friends of mine, and when i start off down the road i noticed that my motor was ticking. just wanted to know if one has had this problem and what they had to do to fix it

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gotta be a little more specific. Where about is the ticking coming from? You open the hood and listen? It could be a number of things with that info.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Some people call this motor a "sewing machine" because of the ticking noises that it makes when it's running normally. Does the ticking ease up when you increase the rpm's?

One potential source of "abnormal" ticking is the valve tappets, another is cam-chain tensioners. Both are pretty simple to do yourself. BTW the tappets can get expensive.. I remember being quoted something like 6 bucks apiece and thinking, "that's not bad.."... until you multiply by 32.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the ticking sounds to be coming from the passager side head like a broken valve spring or something of that nature (loud ticking around 2000 and louder at 3000)

·
Registered
862 Posts
have you changed plug wires or anything.. I know mine sounded the same way. I checked the plugs found one was crossed and that fixed it.. Hope that fixes ya

·
Registered
417 Posts
Without going into all the details, I can tell you that Marvel Mystery Oil has "cured" ticks and knocks in my current and previous cars.. three bucks a quart, might be worth a try. Do a search here for MMO for more details..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
already put the marval mistery oil in it and it quited it down a little but other opions say that it sounds like a rod knock maybe a bent rod? not sure tho

BTW the oil pressure never changed

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
TripleBlk98 said:
already put the marval mistery oil in it and it quited it down a little but other opions say that it sounds like a rod knock maybe a bent rod? not sure tho
BTW the oil pressure never changed
FYI - the oil pressure 'guage' on our cars are nothing more than an idiot light with a needle. They only move down when you've got like 0 oil pressure. Its either on (which will read normally like it always does) or off - meaning, your screwed. Ever notice how it never moves?
Another great FORD idea.....

peace

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
TripleBlk98 said:
anyone no if the SOHC short block is the same as a DOHC
The SOHC model is cast iron. The Cobra version is aluminum.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts