Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 00 GT always feathers the 17" front tires on the outside edges. I've had the alignment checked twice. One alignment shop said tires with agressive tread patterns have a tendency to do it. Every Mustang I've checked (including a friend's 98 GT) has the same problem. If you run your hand counter-clockwise around the tire, it's pretty smooth. If you go the other way, it's saw-toothed.

It's been suggested that it's caused by hard cornering, but I believe it's a design quirk. Do I need a camber kit, or would it be fixed by intentionally aligning it to one end of a spec tolerance???

I just got brand new tires today. Please help if you can. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
If the outside edges of the tires are getting beat up then you need more negative camber. That's definitely a "design quirk" with stock Mustangs. A good set of caster/camber plates (Griggs or Max Motorsports would probably be the best two to go with) will allow you to dial in some more static negative camber, which is what you need. You probably should aim for -1.5deg or so (talk to the above two shops when you order the plates, they can give you a good idea of what to tell the alignment shop based on your driving habits). The caster/camber plates will also allow you to get more positive caster, which will also help to keep the tires planted in the corners rather than rolling over onto that outer shoulder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I saw another post where you asked someone to separate a set of 00 gt wheels. I didn't want to respond on his link. But If you need one Gt 5 spoke wheel, check out tirerack.com. One wheels is 90.00

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks red99. I traded that car to the dealer on the donut spare. In the 2 days prior to the final deal, my dog ate the passenger side seatbelt, and the wheel cracked. They only took about $100 off, and we still got a great deal.

I really think the Sumitomo tires contributed to the feathering on the 00GT. They were ruined in 8 mos. I put Continental Conti-Extremes on it in July, and they were awesome tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the new car is just as bad as the 99. In 5000 miles, the front tires are badly feathered, and noisy now the dealer rotated them to the back. I think the car is prone to wearing them unevenly, and I wish I had asked Ford to put Continentals on it before buying it. Seems like they resisted the wear better for some reason. I don't suppose the dealer could've done it anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts