Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a crank to a machine shop to have it polished. They claimed they did, but I don't know what the results should look like. If someone could look at THIS pic and give thier opinion, I would appreciate it greatly. It is the crank that I have listed in the classifieds.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just got my crank back from the macine shop , its hard to tell from the angle of your picture. But it sure looks like it is not? It should look smoother and very consistant in color.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm glad I picked my crap up when I did. They didn't do squat for me. I was going to have them torque plate hone my block. They bolted on the SHM girddle and that's it. Didn't check it for distortion, nothing. And instead of mentioning that they needed the pistons to do it...they wait 6 months, then tell me. The only reason I could think of otherwise for the color distortion on the crank is that it's been sitting for a while after I took it to them to have it polished. It's my own fault partially for telling them I wasn't in a hurry. Any other comments? Thanks jwwhaley.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Excuse my ingnorance but why would you have your crank polished? :confused:

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
if the crank has some light wear(ie scratches, gouges etc) they polish it with i believe emory cloth to get the surface to be smooth again

·
Registered
66 Posts
hard to say from that shot, the rod jornal looks like it might have been polished, the main not really...did you mic it to see if its with in tollerance or if they barrelled the rod journal? Some guys are real greedy when they polish, they stay on the belt too long, the part closet to the fillet tend to get cut down a bit more leaving a high spot. You gotta mic the middle and the edges to tell...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts