Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the answer is yes, but you didn't mention any specific year or anything! It's basically just a high current switch between the battery and the starter. It's operated by a coil energized by 12v from the ignition switch, so of course the coil has to be grounded ,usually thru the structure of the solenoid back to the car chassis to complete the circuit.

Good luck
AJ

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wouldnt recommend it! before i knew that its back was grounded against the inner fender wall, i removed the top screw & turned it a bit so some of the wires/components connected to it wouldnt hit my strut bolts bar after i installed it. since i did this & it didnt have a good clean contact my starter started acting up & my battery would be dead in the morning for a couple weeks! i replaced the damn soleniod, my ignition switch, my battery to solenoid wire, my battery, & almost my starter before i realized i moved my solenoid & this was the culprit!....all that $$ for nothing!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we got 1 no and two yes. Its an 88 GT btw.

Changing the subject alittle can any electrical gurus tell me what each wire does on the battery side of the relay? I know the top gives the relay itself juice what are the others? Also, what would possibly cause the the top relay switch (push button connector on the solenoid) not to be getting any voltage?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Eric...The solenoid is grounded usually by mounting it to some part of the chassis which is in turn grounded to the battery. This supplies the ground needed for the 12v coil which pulls in the high current relay for the starter. If the ground is not sufficient, the contacts will not pull in completely. The voltage to the coil can drop from it's needed 12v down to 8 or lower which causes the contacts to chatter and not hold tightly.It can show as poor cranking speed, hard starts, and burnt starters in some cases.
This "chatter " can deposit small pits on the contacts and can cause them to stay engaged if left to continue.

If in doubt run a piece of wire from the mounting screw of the solenoid to good chassis ground.

Good luck
AJ

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks AJ! I won't lie about what I did today.....every wire from the strut towers forward are now hidden in the fender wells. I bolted the starter solenoid to the tire well (plastic type material) and now it only starts when I jump the relay over :eek: . Its damn nice to look at now though! I'll put it back I guess tomorrow, maybe run a bracket from the frame/fenderwell to the solenoid or something. I was kinda winging this today.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The "mounting bracket" of the starter solenoid is the ground for the solenoid. Without a gound at that location the solenoid will not work. Usually though, the screws that mount the solenoid to the car are sufficient to gound the thing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Eric...Mine are all in the inner fender also except for the solenoid which is still mounted in the original position. Again you can run a seperate wire for the ground and still keep it hidden. Just don't make the service part of the ownership too much of a PIA as I did..hehe:)

Good luck
AJ

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yep, that's how it acquires it's ground to the chassis in the stock configuration. The sheet metal screw that mounts it.

Sorry to take so long!
AJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.