Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on using a offroad h-pipe.is it ok to remove the smog pump?is there anything i need to know when i delete this?thanx for any help,DAVE.

·
Registered
35,904 Posts
If you have to pass visual or sniffer emissions testing, it could be a problem. The pump is there to add excess oxygen to the exhaust stream so the converters will have the extra oxygen they need to catalzye the reactions which convert controlled emissions into harmless H20, CO2 and non-harmful oxides of nitrogen. Without the cats (off road H) there's no need for the pump. If you unplug the thermactor valve controllers from the harness, you may generate error codes or perhaps a check engine light.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Michael, I have asked this question in a few other post but have not had any responses. I am in the process of rewiring the whole front end of my 89. I took the air pump and A/C out a long time ago. I believe I do generate codes for the TAD and TAB and maybe a couple other harmless codes. However, I now want to unplug the connectors running to the TAB and TAD solenoids and get rid of the whole assembly. I would actually like to pull the wires right out of the EEC (and save them of course, cause you never know). What I'm wondering is, will this cause any problems with drivability? I'm guessing it won't since the air pump is long gone and at least one of the vacuum lines is plugged, but I want to be sure. All of the EEC wires have been brought into the car, stripped of flex loom and tape, and sorted out to be re-routed for a cleaner stealthy look.

Paul

·
Registered
35,904 Posts
I can't see any difference between not having them plugged in, and cutting the wires/plugs off. There were a number of those issues with my conversion - and I just cut the plugs off flush with the main harness being careful to individually wrap the wires so the tips couldn't touch and create some sort of short.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
you'll need a shorter belt to bypass the air pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts