Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just an idea, but it might be the throwout bearing. Had a t-bird that skwealed/whined when the clutch had no pressure on it, touch the petal and it goes away. It never failed but was really anoying. Happened with all "OEM" clutches that were not from ford.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What your hearing is most likely the throwout bearing. This happened on my 97 Cobra back in September. It would only "whine" or squeal when I started the car up and would go away after that. It only happened when the clutch was pressed in. This went on for about three weeks and then one night...BOOM..my clutch grenaded. I ended up replacing it with a SPEC Stage II clutch.

Nathan

·
Registered
379 Posts
okay...so your clutch exploded because of a bad throw out bearing? Cause I've also got the EXACT same symtom that you had. I would start the car in the morning...then after a few mins, it would go away. And if you put the clutch in and just tap the gas real quick it would spin up and then spin down with the rpms. bout how much does a throw out bearing cost?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Skadork- By no means did I mean to scare you into thinking your car will do the exact same thing (i.e. clutch exploding)as mine did. I'm no where near being an expert on cars. I was just summarizing what my experience was and what happened to my car.

Like I said, my throwout bearing was squeeling usually only first thing in the morning and then it would go away. This went on for a few weeks until one night I was driving home and depressed the clutch and my car started to let out this horrible metal on metal sound. I was only 20 yards from my apartment so I limped it home. My mechanic said that when he took it apart it was annihilated and was absolutely toast.

Like I said before, I'm no expert but I think a bad throwout bearing is a sign of a clutch heading south. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nathan

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cheap, probably like 5-15$ by them selves? I've just always replace the clutch and throw out bearing at the same time. Might as well while you are in there. If I'm not mistaken they normally come in the box with the clutch.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Mine did that shortly after having a clutch put in (maybe 2-3,000 miles). I got a Timkin TOB from Autozone for $20, but didn't put it in. Instead, I went to the Steeda adjustable quadrant. That gave me more life, but eventualy, I could not get my tranny into first when stopped, I had to slip it in before I quit rolling. So I had a new clutch, clutch arm and pivot put in along with the Timkin TOB. The old clutch (McLeod Kelvar disk) had a hot spot on one side. The Pressure Plate fingers were bent on one side so that the clutch didn't fully disengage (one side lagged and that caused the hot spot on the disk).

While the TOB is only $20, if you don't do it yourself, then the labor could run $200-400 (depending on where you get it done). IMO, if you have many miles on that clutch, get another clutch and have it available when the tranny is pulled, just in case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it is a squeaking noise, then it is most probably the TOB. I just put a new clutch, SPEC stage II, in my GT. It sqeaks with a brand new TOB, my factory one did it also right before I repalced it. It is a very annoying sound, but I doubt that it is harmful or indicative of impending doom. This is why I have been told that they squeak.

When installing a new TOB, you are not supposed to use any lube or grease.... according to the instructions... :rolleyes:
However this will sometimes result in a squeak that makes your baby sound like a broken POS. A very good freind of mine and an ASE certified mechanic and mustang fanatic, says jsut lube the hell out of it and it won't squeak. You can do this and it will not harm the TOB or clutch...... or you can follow the instructions and live with the squeak, which will also not harm anything.

This is the squeak that it sounds like ya'll are describing, but I realize that not all mustang squeaks are the same.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have noticed some weird noises from my car too now that it has gotten cold. When I start it up after a night of sitting it sounds like the tranny is whining. And from outside the car there is what sounds to be almost like a sporadic hissing and once the car warms up it basically goes away. Same problem or something different? :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
96covbravert: does that hissing sound sorta sound like a air bleeder or like a NOS bleeder, because mine does that even in non-cold weather...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Skadork - Yes it sounds like an air bleeder. Only when its cold though. I don't know what it is. Once the car gets up to normal operating temp it goes away. :confused:

It's like a tsst tsst tssssssst tsst tssssst tsst. LOL I'm sure you get the noise i'm tryin to make. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm tempted to make a video of all the funny noises that my car makes. I"m getting ready to start my car after sitting for about 18-22hrs...the temp is around 40F...

but yeah, that is the exact same sound that mine is making, when I get out of the car it sounds like its coming from the engine compartment....could it be some kind of air leak? like my O/R H pipe not bolted tight enough to the headers? or something like that?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Skadork said:
I'm tempted to make a video of all the funny noises that my car makes. I"m getting ready to start my car after sitting for about 18-22hrs...the temp is around 40F...
You sir, are a candidate for the next VW commercial:evil:

·
Registered
379 Posts
:lol: bahahaha....yeah, I'd love to have one of them TDI's go anywhere in the world on half a tank of gas...of course...top speed is around 50MPH.

OKay, anywho...it seems my car only does the hissing noise when the car is in neutral and the clutch is engaged. It does the whining sound with the clutch is disengaged...

·
Registered
91 Posts
just imagine if you lived somewhere COLD...

you'd be beside yourself if you heard the noises these cars make when you wake them up at 5am and its -5f outside. its a whoooooooole different set of noises from warm weather....

·
Registered
568 Posts
96CobraVert said:
Skadork - Yes it sounds like an air bleeder. Only when its cold though. I don't know what it is. Once the car gets up to normal operating temp it goes away. :confused:

It's like a tsst tsst tssssssst tsst tssssst tsst. LOL I'm sure you get the noise i'm tryin to make. :D
I've got exactly that noise in my '98 Cobra 'vert. It goes away once the car is warm but it is freaking weird. Please let me know if you figure out the cause!

·
Registered
30 Posts
is the hissing sound coming from passenger side? air injection system maybe (air pump inside fender pumps air into exhaust when the car first fires up for emission reasons, stops after a couple of minutes.). Just a guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts