Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have a seperate pipe comming from each header, without an X or crossover pipe? Like they had it on older cars. I want to have my mufflers put straight to the end of the longtubes and then have pipes go out the side in front of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I will pretty much gaurantee you the loss of backpressure, and the unbelievably shiity sound, will kill a great portion of your performance, and scare away most of your friends.

You have a 281 ci small black! Not a Hemi! And definately not a bored/stroked/blown 4V making 1100hp.

The old hot rod days are dead, let them die in peace! Header collector mufflers will hurt ya!

joe

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im just trying to fid a way to do side pipes and stil have mufflers

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Roush sells the kit for side pipes, basically its just a muffler with the in and out on the same side (BIG RESTRICTION BTW) and the pipe bends out in a 120 ish degree angle to head out to the side of the car. It's a big power sucker the side pipes are (yoda speak).

James

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It will work the way you are proposing it. But there is still room for a cross pipe right at the collector flange and before the mufflers. I run a BBK h-pipe with Bassani mufflers and turndowns ahead of the axle, then just unbolt the whole mess and drop it from the car. But I have to add 16" of extension to the collectors to keep from loosing too much mid range torque without the tail pipe.

It's not back pressure that you need, it's tuned pipe length resonance.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
906 Posts
Island Vobra: c'mon man, unless you are going to throw up a before and after dyno :rolleyes:

Did you forget about your little bend over your axle? By the way, 120deg turn? I don't think so.

all flame aside, if side exhaust did take away 2 hp which it doesn't, it is worth the amount of woman that get dripping wet over it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Roush,

Let's do something here like THINKING! What happens when air has to turn 180 degrees inside a muffler? Lemme think here....

120 degrees, thats about right, I dont have it here in front of me to measure exactly but thats about what the angle it turn out of the muffler to get out to the side of the car. It's easily 90 degrees, and we know that its not 90 degrees since it doesnt go directly to the side of the car, it goes out and slight backward.
Even if it is only 90, the air has just changed directions 270 degrees. Now, lets think again here, if the whole idea of changing the exhaust is to have a free flowing exhaust which makes power, and you turn the air 180 degrees and then another 90 degrees, obviously you WILL lose power.

Just because you own a Roush doesn't mean its the greatest invention and design, that side pipe stuff is purely for looks.

As far as the bend over the axle goes, it's done over a LARGE RADIUS, so the effects are not nearly as bad as the side pipes. Remember, every time the air shifts directions it slows down, kinda like turning a corner. You can't go 160mph over a short radius 180 degree turn, you would have to almost stop to turn. Now do it over a large radius corner and you can get alot more speed going through the corner. Simple, easy.

I dont have the dyno sheets, but way back in 98 there were a couple of guys who did have some and it lost about 10hp compared to a standard exhaust system.

It's simply common sense.

all flame aside, if side exhaust did take away 2 hp which it doesn't, it is worth the amount of woman that get dripping wet over it
That's what dumps are for!!!
James

·
Registered
906 Posts
chill.

Just because you own a Roush doesn't mean its the greatest invention and design, that side pipe stuff is purely for looks
I didn't say it was the greatest invention or anything like that......I basically just made that statement about the woman. By the way, I don't know about you, but woman around here that go crazy over dumps usually have MULLETS and the woman that go crazy over side pipes usually look like Pamela Anderson :evil:

Maybe those guys lost 10 hp over some other aftermarket brand such as chits ( i mean dumps) but I doubt they lost 10 over the stock catback.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
98Roush said:
By the way, I don't know about you, but woman around here that go crazy over dumps usually have MULLETS and the woman that go crazy over side pipes usually look like Pamela Anderson :evil:
I don't know about you, but around here, functional exhaust wins races, not chicks with big **** who drool over the pipes that exit the side of your car.

You can have the money grabbers in your passenger seat, I'll take the trophies, and drive my woman home in the C-5.

btw, James told me they don't have women in Guam, so it might all be a moot point.

joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
i'm just shootin the shiza

I'll drive my woman home too, but not in a C5....maybe my dad will let me borrow his 427 Cobra. Yeah right! Not a chance in hell!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
IslandVobra said:

And here it is Ladies and Gents, my daily salute to Joe...

FU JOE!!!

/me goes back to spit shining the Gucci combat boots.

James
Shut Up Biotch! Go make me a Turkey Pot-Pie!

FU James!!!:evilgrin:
joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts