Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all goes well (it hasn't as of late, but I am being optimistic), I may end up with orders to Hawaii in a few months. I was doing a little research and aparently if a car has any modifications dine to it one must obtain a Reconstruction Permit from the Sherriffs Dept and display it on the windshield. Does anyone know about this, is this a big deal?

On another note what about the animal quarantine, my wife is not going to like having her puppy locked up for a month (neither will I for that matter.) Do you get to vist them in puppy jail? Do they give you a loaner while yours is in for service?

Thanks,
Gabe

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gabe
You are correct. Any vehicle that has aftermarket or non OEM parts on it (rims, exhaust, lowered ride height, etc) can be cited and therefore be required to obtain a "recon" permit. Furthermore, when your vehicle arrives here, you need to get a safety inspection (no emissions) and have it registered. If the safety inspection station notices your modifications, they can reject you and make you get the recon permit first.

All you do is go down to the recon station, and have them inspect your vehicle. Beware though, if your vehicle is lowered, they will require you to have a receipt showing you had an alignment performed.

Your tint will also be checked, either by the recon station or when you get your car's safety check done. Legal limit is 35% in Hawaii on all passenger vehicles, 35% on the roll up window (fronts) and whatever on SUV's and vans.

And yes, you can visit your dog while it's in quarantine. :joy:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't worry to much about the reconstruction permit. There are places to go that will inspect your car without it. What kind of mods are done to your car? Here are some of the main things that they look for that would require a Recon permit (goes on bumper): Different size wheels than stock, if its lowered, coilovers, adjustable caster/camber plates, tint 35%. I don't have one for my car.

As for the quarantine yes you can visit. It has gotten a lot better. When I moved here (94) it was 120 days and $400. I'm not sure how much it is now. Well lots of luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the Military will only ship one car, and Hawaii has all this extra BS, we will probably just bring the 98 Cobra. I will store my 89 LX in PA at my parents.

The Cobra has Eibachs, they were on the car when I bought it so I do not have an alignment recipt but tire wear is normal so I never worried about it.

Dynomax Catback
Steeda Wing
K&N on a non factory inlet tube
Steeda Firewall Adjustable Clutch Quadrant
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Yellow Interior Parts

And I just finished painting the Calipers and Rotors because they looked like a$$.

You mean the sticker has to go on the bumper I have to stick something to my paint!!!!!!! OH HELL NO!!! I am not going then thats the last straw.

How is the used car market there, any one have a Early Bronco for sale that is in decent condition?

I really hope this works out my wife might forget that we never got to go on a honeymoon if we move to Hawaii.

Thanks again for the help,
Gabe

·
Registered
201 Posts
GBX said:
You mean the sticker has to go on the bumper I have to stick something to my paint!!!!!!! OH HELL NO!!! I am not going then thats the last straw.

No, you don't have to stick it on the bumper. You can buy or fashion a stainless steel plate to put the safety check stickers and the recon stickers onto. Put that under the bumper or next to the license plate.

And, you can try to get your safety check without getting the recon permit. Most times the imports seem to get the recon attention instead of the domestics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts