Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Just as a point of reference, All non V8 Mustangs got 7.5 axles until 2011. When the 3.7 V6 arrived it came with the same 8.8 as the V8 cars.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Maybe a better picture Jack. View attachment 1067627

That's a 7.5". AN 8.8 would have flat sides. Look at the comparison photo a few posts up.

Also, that tag attached to the bolt will also have information on the rear, such as gear ratio, 7.5" or 8.8" as well as the date the axle was manufactured and the plant it was built at.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That is definitely a 7.5" axle housing. Look at the photo posted earlier in the thread of the 7.5" and 8.8" gear covers.

In addition, the metal tag on top right bolt has information about the differential encoded into it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Looks like you have 3.27 gears too. Not a waste of time. You learned, probably, a couple things and it ws documented in case someone wondering comes across it in the future.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Also, according to the date code, your axle was built October 5th of 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stephen H

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
see if the tag says 3L27 or 3 27

L designates limited slip. It'd be a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm back. It's a 2000 Mustang 3.8 Manual Non-ABS. I have a bit of a problem and mystery concerning my Mustang. I changed the original air-intake for a K&N cold air-intake and new idle control and about to put a 2004 Ford Mustang throttle body and cable on my car. Now when I am driving down hill (Interstate highway) on my way to work, I usually like to put the car in neutral and coast gaining a speed of 80mph. It's around this time that the RPM's will start fluctuating (up and down) between 1000 and 500 before falling below 500 and then the car dies, a complete fuel cutout. Quite dangerous at that speed. I have to feather the gas to keep the RPM's up so it does not die. Now then, at a complete stop or traveling around 40mph in neutral slowing down, there is no issue. Any ideas? Feel free to ask me questions. Note: I have no check engine light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Mustang V6 3.8 with disc breaks, no ABS and it's an 8.8. I gave Ford my VIN# and they confirmed it. Do you have any explanation for this?
When these cars came new they had 7.5 some had noise in them so ford approved dealers to replace with an 8.8 .

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I remember that now. I can’t pull up the TSB number, but it applied to 99-00 V6 mustangs. If the rear was whining and the car was still under warranty, some owners got an 8.8 as a replacement.

Edit: I believe it was TSB 14082

21 - 35 of 35 Posts