Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine has one, and I was wondering if it had the 31 splines, and what the gear ratio was?

Thanks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Its a 28 spline 7.5" with a 3.27 most likely.

Sent by Morse code

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It's a 2.73 ratio, at least all of the ones I've had apart were.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is an article from Car Craft.

"I think you guys might be wrong. I have heard this before, but was unable to find it yesterday, but today I tried again, and here is an excerpt from an article in Car Craft.

"The truth is that the Ford 8.8 is virtually a clone of the Chevy 12-bolt and therefore almost as strong. Most rear axles are described by their ring-gear diameters, with larger being better. A Ford 9-inch has a ring-gear diameter of, you guessed it, 9 inches closely followed by the 12-bolt at 8.875, with the Mustang rear at 8.80 inches. Another strength consideration is pinion-shaft diameter. Here, the 8.8 and the 12-bolt are identical at 1.625 inches and in fact use the same pinion bearings. By comparison, the Ford 9-inch pinion shaft measures only 1.313 inches. The Achilles' heel of the stock 8.8 Ford rearend is its 28-spline axles, especially when compared to the Chevy 12-bolt's stronger 30 splines. Ford eventually rectified this oversight and upgraded the '94-'99 Mustang 8.8 rears with 31-spline axles and larger axletubes. These rear-axle assemblies are now beginning to populate the recycling yards and should be available at a decent price. These housings are slightly wider than the '86-'93 housings and may actually fit some of the wider leaf-spring-car requirements, so keep that in mind as well. "

The Ford 8.8 Mustang Rear End - Car Craft Magazine

They don't say anything about if the V6 Mustangs had them, or not so I'm guessing it was only the V8 Mustangs that got the 31 splines.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That article is incorrect. All Mustangs (excluding specialty models which I can't say for certain) up until the S197's came out had 28 spline from the factory. The V6 uses a 7.5" rear end, not an 8.8 and it was also 28 spline, but came with a 2.73 rear gear. I've had a dozen or so SN95 Cobras and every one of them had 28 spline from the factory.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its interesting that they put 7.5's behind a V6 car, but put an 8.8 on a 4 cyl car...........go figure.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 cyl cars got the 7.5 too. unless it was a turbo coupe T-bird.
the Turbo Coupe WAS a 4 cyl car.

Still, I find it strange that the SVO Mustangs never had them.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct. I owned two 87-88 TC, and they were great cars. The last one I pulled the rear end, and swapped onto my 83 Mustang.

The TC was a manual car, and had 3:55 gears the auto had 3:73, BUT only 4 lug axles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That article is incorrect. All Mustangs (excluding specialty models which I can't say for certain) up until the S197's came out had 28 spline from the factory. The V6 uses a 7.5" rear end, not an 8.8 and it was also 28 spline, but came with a 2.73 rear gear. I've had a dozen or so SN95 Cobras and every one of them had 28 spline from the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2000 Mustang V6 3.8 with disc breaks, no ABS and it's an 8.8. I gave Ford my VIN# and they confirmed it. Do you have any explanation for this?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Someone changed the axle housing in your car. All SN95 V6 Mustangs came with 7.5" axle assemblies.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That's impossible. The VIN number doesn't contain any information about the rear axle assembly. See the site below for an example of how to decode the VIN number.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Look at the link I posted above. The last 6 digits of the VIN are just sequential numbers. Absolutely no information encoded in them at all. The Y and F digits just tell that it is a 2000 Ford.

When Ford builds the car, they do create record of everything about the car which is tied to the VIN number. With the VIN number, Ford can lookup in this database and tell you lots of things about the car such as all of the installed options, paint color, etc. I doubt that the dealer is using this database to lookup parts for the car. You can get what is called a Marti report from the VIN number. This is a report which basically duplicates the window sticker from the Ford manufacturing database.

If the dealer is using the VIN number to look at the Ford manufacturing database and that is telling them that the car has an 8.8" axle assembly, then there is just an error in the database. Post a photo of the gear cover. That is the best way to determine what axle assembly the car has in it.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Now I'm really confused.

I just looked over some Ford Engineering data. It is clear that the 1994-98 Mustang V6 all came with a 7.5" axle assembly.

However, from 1999-2004 it lists that all Mustangs use an 8.8" axle assembly........but it also lists the gear oil volume required for the V6 and GT models as being being different right below this. The V6 model uses less oil. In addition, it says that the differential pinion offset on the V6 Mustang is 1" and the pinion offset on the GT Mustang is 1.5". The same differential can't have two different pinion offsets. For all other years ranges, Ford lists the 7.5" axle housing as having a 1" pinion offset and the 8.8" as having a 1.5" offset.

Please post a photo of the gear cover.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Compare shapes. Question resolved. I'm sure it's 7.5. I had a 2000 V6 5 speed I bought brand new in 2000. It had a 7.5 open diff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts