Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a Magnaflow cat-back for my setup and I know that Magnaflow discontinued the 3" tips and now have the 3.5" tips. I was wondering what the tips look like. Sounds like they might be too big or look ricey, so I was wondering if anyone had them and if they have pics to show. Thanks, BTW-if you have 'em, how do they sound mated to a X-pipe?

·
Registered
723 Posts
311green94 said:
I am thinking about purchasing a Magnaflow cat-back for my setup and I know that Magnaflow discontinued the 3" tips and now have the 3.5" tips. I was wondering what the tips look like. Sounds like they might be too big or look ricey, so I was wondering if anyone had them and if they have pics to show. Thanks, BTW-if you have 'em, how do they sound mated to a X-pipe?
Honestly, I think they look stupid..IMO...Magnaflows also sound like dookie..again IMO...I wouldnt go from your exhaust set-up to that.

I also think they sound terrible mated to the X-pipe..I have many friends that went to the "lets be different" crowd of exhaust. They are goin back to flows. Magnaflows sound like a boats exhaust submerged in water dude..

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
IMHO 3.5" tips are borderline rice.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, opinions are like buttholes...everyone's gott'em and most of them stink.;) So take this for what it's worth, I've got the Magnaflow exhaust on my 95GT with the Dr Gas X-pipe and BBK long tubes. It has taken me a little while to get used to the 3 1/2" tips, but now I kinda like them (would've preferred 3"). I am not in town to have access to my digital camera, so I'm sorry that I can't provide any pics. I have yet to have anyone say that they didn't like the looks of them. As far as the sound, I really like it. At idle, I think that it's actually a little quieter than my stock cat-back was, but it has a pretty mean sound when into the throttle. I think that it's a pretty good combination for a nice sound that isn't like every kid that has a stock 5.0 with Flowmaster exhaust. It did take me a few days for the new sound to grow on me though. Hopefully you can run across someone with the exhaust so you can hear it for yourself. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
657 Posts
Blue95GT said:
Well, opinions are like buttholes...everyone's gott'em and most of them stink.;) So take this for what it's worth, I've got the Magnaflow exhaust on my 95GT with the Dr Gas X-pipe and BBK long tubes. It has taken me a little while to get used to the 3 1/2" tips, but now I kinda like them (would've preferred 3"). I am not in town to have access to my digital camera, so I'm sorry that I can't provide any pics. I have yet to have anyone say that they didn't like the looks of them. As far as the sound, I really like it. At idle, I think that it's actually a little quieter than my stock cat-back was, but it has a pretty mean sound when into the throttle. I think that it's a pretty good combination for a nice sound that isn't like every kid that has a stock 5.0 with Flowmaster exhaust. It did take me a few days for the new sound to grow on me though. Hopefully you can run across someone with the exhaust so you can hear it for yourself. Good luck.

Mike
What he said :lol:

I can get a pic if you need one.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Blue95GT said:

Mike
If the tips were cut at more of an angle..they would look 100% better I think..its not the size of them that i dont like its the way they are cut...

not tryin to be smart...there is a reason why everyone has flowmasters...AND in your case, you have a helluva motor in your car..thats gonna change the exhaust tone, i was going of 2 of my buddies that have BBK long tubes, Bassani X and the magnaflow cat back...I think its sounds terrible--This is just me, dont take it to heart. This is on a bolt on SN95

Their are also 6 billion exhaust combinations that you could use WITH flowmasters to make your car stick out from others

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's ashamed that Maganflow isn't making the 3" kit anymore. When did this happen?? I have 3" tips with my exhaust (Dynomax Race Magnums) but I had my muffler shop put them on because I thought the 2 1/2" looked a little anemic. I've seen the 3.5" tips before on my friends CVX exhaust (Thrush used to make them but they are not around anymore) and thought they were a little to much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I bought the car it had chrome 3.5 inch pipes on it, at first I wanted to yank them off. Now I like them:D , I get alot of looks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I have seen a Mustang here locally that has 3.5" exhaust tips and I thougt that they look a tad too big, but maybe I'll get used to them. But I haven't found anyone that has Magnaflows in my area. I have tried the Mustang exhaust website, but I cant get the full effect from that. I have FMS ceramic headers and a Bassani X-pipe, I just want to get something that sounds mean, yet different from everything else. I have a Flowmaster cat-back right now, has anyone runned that setup and how did they like it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Magnaflows or Magnapacks?

I am not even sure whether or not Magnaflow made the Magnapack series direct bolt-on exhaust for the 94-95 Mustangs but I do know that it is not hard to have different muffers welded into a system. Now with that said, Magnaflow -the company- has two types of mufflers. The Magnaflow -mufflers- sound sweet in my opinion, of course the car I heard it on was a 2000GT w/ off-road Dr. Gas x-pipe. However, I have heard the magnapack mufflers and they sound like.......eh........dookie *as aformentioned*. The Magnaflows are really deep and almost like Flowmaster 2 Chambers to me, with actual power gains. :rolleyes: I know.

But magnapacks? :barf:

And oh yeah, I dig the 3.5" tips too.

Here is a link to a 98 GT Vert' with the tips.... http://www.mwstangs.com/ourpics/News/select1963.htm

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that they make them, I was going to purchase it from Houston Performance. I made sure that it was the Magnaflow and not the Magnapack. He reassured me that they were not the Magnapacks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hey 95Cobraofdeath....

I'm sorry, I wasn't raggin on ya. I hope it didn't come across like that. I agree with you 100% that the tips would look much better if cut at more of an angle. I was really surprised that they had such a slight angle to them. I'm not going to lie to you and say that as soon as the exhaust was put on my car that I was jumping up and down about how great the 3 1/2" tips looked and how good it sounded, it really did take several days to grow on me. When I bought it, I actually got it with the intention of swapping out the 3 1/2" tips to 3", but now I kinda like them. Heck, who knows...maybe I'll slap some Japanese writing down the hood or something. j/k:D I do still think that 3" would look better. Actually, the exhaust tips are the only thing that makes my car look non-stock, so they probably stand out a bit more. The cat-back was my last mod (other than the T56). The stock cat-back actually sounded pretty good on there, but we felt that it was a major restriction (obviously), so we swapped it out during a dyno tune. Actually only gained 10.5 rwhp/10.5 rwtq across the board, then about 15 rwhp up top. I got my Magnaflow from Houston Performance also, so that is the right one. It's all stainless steel, very nice. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
3 inch tips look good 3 1/2 tips border on fart pipes,also i agree the angle of the tip should be more .if you have 2 1/2 tips www.stainlessworks.net sells custom tips that go from 2 1/2 to 3 in .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here's a pic from the back. The right one is not quite straight and needs to be fixed :( Anyways, they are the 3 1/2" tips.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here is my FRPP system w/ 3" tips:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Eric, I think that looks pretty mean actually. I hope mine looks that good from the back! Nice looking ride.;)

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts