Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect that my coolant temp guage is faulty. I replaced the sender a while ago because it wasn't working at all, but now, it barely goes above a reading of 145*, or so. I have a new 180* thermostat.

Will this cause an abnormally rich condition with the motor if the computer is reading this temperature?

The guage will go up and down a bit, so it is working somewhat, but even when fully warmed up and after a cruise, it still sits way below what I think it should and my A/F meter wants to read a "rich" condition.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
No, the gauge sending unit has no bearing on performance. I think the coolant temp sensor on the heater core rail has some bearing on performance though.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I tend to agree with Grn92lx, if the ECT (engine coolant temp) were to start acting up it would fool the EEC that it's either in cold mode when it's hot or visa versa. Does anything come up when you run a quick test of the EEC (KOEO & KOER)?

Bill

·
Registered
806 Posts
Does your heater work fine? If so you're definitely not running at 145* like the guage says.

The stock guage sucks, if you have any doubt hook up and aftermarket gauge before jumping to any conclusions.

BTW, my stock guage would read 130* until I swapped the sending unit and it now reads 190-195*, just like it should.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran the codes this afternoon. No codes pertaining to engine coolant temp or the like. The only codes that popped up were expected ones because I don't have any emissions equipment on it. EGR, TAB, TIB, evaporation canister...and so on...no signals.

I don't have a heater core or A/C...removed.

Perhaps it's just an inaccurate guage. It rarely reached 160* with my old combo. I'll have to put that on my "got-to-get" list.

That being said, with my big Fluidyne radiator, Water Wetter, Synthetics,...it never really got that hot anyhow (my assessment of underhood temps)

OK, I guess I can live with it for now as long as it isn't going to effect the fuel/air ratio. I'll have to do some more tuning.

New combo. Just put her together. I did have to flip-flop the location of my two front coolant sensors. My fuel rails and AN-08 fittings wouldn't allow me to keep them in their stock location. The one on the drivers side is a lot shorter and fit perfectly under the passenger side where my fuel fittings were. I had to splice in a set of wires to make them reach. Perhaps I erroneously thought coolant sensor location didn't matter, but that being said, there is no way that I can switch them now. It just won't fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.