Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the last bug worked out of my brakes... dusk shield rubbing... so it got me thinking.... Do you need a bigger compact spare or will the standard 19 GT compact spare fit? If a new one is needed anyone got a good source for one cheap?

·
Registered
162 Posts
the spare will no longer fit the fronts, so either you need a Cobra/Bullitt/Mach spare or if you get a flat on the front puta rear tire on the front and the spare on the rear.

·
Registered
388 Posts
^^what he said^^

You could also try and find another 17 inch wheel with a crappy tire from a junkyard from an older Mustang. I did that when I had the cobra kit put on my 95 and found one cheaper than what the spares were going for.

Honestly, the spares seem like they are harder to come by and when I was looking at them - they were going for more than what I thought they should be paid for.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if you could use the existing spare with some type of spacer to move it away for the caliper. Summit sells some 1" thick 4.5" bolt center adapters. It would look / handle horrible but might be good enough to get you home

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
the cheapest option for a spare that will clear the PBR twin piston Cobra fronts is probably using any ratty 17x8 Ford Mustang wheel and a used tire. If you want a mini spare to clear the brakes, you'll need to buy the 17" Cobra spare. I'm in a similar situation to you, I have the Brembo 4 piston front brakes on my '94 Cobra and now my 17" mini spare won't clear, I'll have to swap it for a rear tire in the event of a front flat.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You can now get them for not too much. Plus, you can GET THEM! See:
http://car-part.com/

I had to wait 3+ months when I did my upgrade and I had to pay a lot more for my "Cobra" spare. Just about every place listed will also ship! I just (they came today) got two 16" wheels for my Olds shipped to my door, and Cheaper, than if I was willing to drive even 1.5 hrs (one way) to get the wheels.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's more like it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts