Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 90 mustang that has been converted to five lug with the lincoln front rotors and ranger axles. it looks like the front wheels are out about a 1/4 to 1/2in further than the rear. the wheels are the same backspacing and size. is this due to the lincoln rotors. also would a conversion to 94-up front components remedy this problem if it is the rotor. thanks for any help, darren
:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
No, the Ranger axles are the same as the Mustangs, but 5 lug. Not much change there. The sn95 will make it wider. If you install the 96 and up spendles they 8mm wider per side than what you have now. I would check to see if you have the right axles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Me too!

I would also like to know if the lincoln rotors maintain the same front track. I'll be changing to 5 lug in the some what distant future with the Ranger axles (can get these for free), lincoln rotors and using '96 cobra 17's. When I put on the QA1 K-member it moved the front wheels forward so I don't need anymore changes up there.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Oh my!

First off the lincoln rotors do NOT change the front track. The only reason you would change the front track with the lincoln rotors is cause you use a 1/4" spacer to mount wheels that dont fit over the hubs of the lincoln rotors. Spacers are a bad idea FYI, especially up front.

Now look at the specs for your car, especially the front and rear track. Guess what? Stock the front track is wider than the rear. So nothing has changed with the swap to lincoln rotors as they maintain the stock front track.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
If you run SN95 rims, the effect of the difference in wheel offset is increased. The rear rims will look tucked in more.

I have Lincoln/Ranger 5-lug and my rear rims are slightly sucked in compared to front. Nobody notices except me, so i don't care

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Mustang5L5 said:
If you run SN95 rims, the effect of the difference in wheel offset is increased. The rear rims will look tucked in more.

I have Lincoln/Ranger 5-lug and my rear rims are slightly sucked in compared to front. Nobody notices except me, so i don't care
It does not matter what rims you have. The front track on the 87-93 cars is wider up front than the rear.

Now using the same offset wheels on all 4 corners keeps this look. You would need a rim with less offset out back to correct this. I dont know if anyone makes such a wheel that is mass produced. Most of the time you just see wider wheels, so someone runs 8" up front and 9" out back to disguise this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
whats the deal with the summit drum/axle kit? are they ranger axles or sn95 axles. i know its the expensive way to do 5L drums but no rangers or aerostars around...

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
nquestion said:
whats the deal with the summit drum/axle kit? are they ranger axles or sn95 axles. i know its the expensive way to do 5L drums but no rangers or aerostars around...
THink about your question would you.

If you know the Sn95 axles from the 94-98 cars is .75" wider and your you install that with your drum brakes, what happens? Well the drum will never fit over the shoes!

So now knowing that plus the ranger axles are the same length as stock (at least one side), what do you think the FMS kit includes?

I am not trying to be a *****, but we need to think before just blindly asking questions. It is not rocket science.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sorry. dont know what i was thinking about. asking tech questions on a subject i am trying to learn more about on a tech board? my mistake.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help

thanks for letting me know the front track is wider on the fox cars. i had thought the sn95 were wider up front, but i didnt know the fox cars were as well. all my friends run welds and skinnys up front as i did until this car, so i guess just looking at theirs over the years had me used to seeing the wheels tucked in at the front. i am running the 94 tri-bars painted black with the 93 chrome pony centers and the outer lip polished, identical to the 93 cobra r wheel. they look great, i had just not seen many stangs with 17's around here. i live in a drag race town :) . thanks again for your help corral. darren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts