Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want more out of my 94 GT. I want to upgrade the motor(head, cam, intake), struts, shocks, clutch, brakes. But by the time I do all of this, I could almost have an 04 Mach 1 and it wouldnt have the 50k miles on it my car does.

I can get a Mach 1 for X plan and rebate. $24,500. When does it become feasible to sell out the 94 for something newer? I still love my car, but its becoming a financial point now. When do you say when?

Anyone sold out to get a Mach 1? Did you regret it?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When does it become feasible to sell out the 94 for something newer?
When you can either a) justify the $24K or b)get tired of your 94. 50K miles isn't alot for a 5.0 powered Mustang.

I could have bought a new (or newer) Mustang, but I am building an open track car and get more bang for the buck with a 5 liter pushrod powered Cobra.

Those new Mach 1s are indeed sweet, but you can make your '94
perform (acceleration, braking, handling) for less money....depends on whether or not you like to turn wrenches...

Figure $3K for wheels, tires, & brakes, $4K for a real suspension (MM or Griggs), and $3K for H/C/I and you're right about ten grand.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. There's nuthin' wrong with a new Mach 1, but if you want something a little different it's cool to build your own'.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I tell ya, there are very few things I would trade my 5.0 in for, and a Mach 1 is one of them. Regardless of the fact its harder to work on them, they're faster than the Camaro SS in their naturally aspirated stock form. (Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords).

Don't forget, a 2003 Mach 1 is 9 years younger than your 94. If you've honestly got the money for it, the Mach 1 will give you less grief (basic maintanance) and put an equally large smile on your face.

Everyone here will gauruntee you (me included) that for that kind of money your 94 would be MUCH faster than the Mach 1. That's a fact, so you must decide.

·
Registered
643 Posts
depends are you going to mod the Mach 1? are you going to replace any of the new suspension on it? Will you upgrade that motor as well or add a power adder?

Wouldn't you rather do all this to a paid off 5.0 and dump $15k in it and have it handle better and be faster?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I don't think I'd sell my 94 Cobra pace car, but that would be a car I would love to have. I say if you can afford it, go for it. Those are some good cars.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
CGJARVIS said:
Ok, I want more out of my 94 GT. I want to upgrade the motor(head, cam, intake), struts, shocks, clutch, brakes. But by the time I do all of this, I could almost have an 04 Mach 1 and it wouldnt have the 50k miles on it my car does.

I can get a Mach 1 for X plan and rebate. $24,500. When does it become feasible to sell out the 94 for something newer? I still love my car, but its becoming a financial point now. When do you say when?

Anyone sold out to get a Mach 1? Did you regret it?
If you are worried about the 50,000 miles (which is NOTHING) on your engine, how about getting a new engine, like a 347 stroker or something??

Mach 1's are cool though. To be honest, I think they are just as good if not better of a deal than the new Cobra. I'd love to get a Mach 1, and then put a big turbo on it. And especially if I could get one for $24,500.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Did you walk into the dealership with your PIN to get that price or did you get the price via the x-plan website? When I look via the website my local dealers which I KNOW have several Machs and Cobras on the lot only list the GT / v6 cars.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
yellow95 said:
How can you get one for $24000? What is X plan?

gary
X Plan is one of Ford's Discount plans. It's not quite the 'I work at Ford' price but it isn't bad. I get X-plan via my employer.

From the x-plan site:
X-Plan Pre-determined price based on Ford Employee ("A-Plan") price.

Ford/Mercury A-Plan + 4% + $150

Example.. '04 GT at my local dealer - stickers at 24,355, x-plan is $22,629.60

Shawn

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My buddy is pulling 8.1x's in the 1/8th, with a bone stock MACH 1 and DR's. If I didn't like my car so much (even though its slow), you would see one in my driveway.... and after seeing the competition orange Mach, I would probably pick that color....

·
Registered
214 Posts
i thinks its just a matter of taste. u could go either way and be happy. I love my car but it doesnt compare to a brand new 4 valve mod motor. U can get more out of your 94 for less money but in the long run will u be happy? U start swaying from stock with the 94 and theres always going to be something to work on or fix or figure out. i like working on cars it gives me something to do so I opted for stick with my 95 instead of getting a Bullitt. anyways just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Bullitts are badass too, but if there's stock Mach 1's going low low 8's in the 1/8 mile, its just one more reason for me to drool over that car.

My favorite is the Blue Mach 1, does anyone know the color's official name? There's one running around this part of Orlando and I swear I'm going to cause an accident one day for staring at it so much.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Grabber Blue...

We have two blue ones, and two shadow grey ones in our club... They are all badass...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's called Azure Blue. It's pretty sharp too. I like the Torch Red.

Ok guys, if my desicion was not hard enough, I found a used 03 Mach 1 with 109 miles on it!!!!! For $21,0000!!!!!!!

I hear all of your points and feel the same way. My stang has been long since paid for, but I'm not sure if I want to dump another $10,000 into it and end up with a total tinker mobile. I would have a better handling faster car though. Hmmmm, this is hard. I bought the Vette, full knowing it could never replace my stang, but the Mach 1 just might. The Mach will atleast replace the Vette, and maybe my 94 GT.

I like to work on cars, but I always fear the tuning issues which here in Vermont can rarely be addressed.

Choices, Choices

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone want a Vette???????? Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!! $22,000, come and get it!!!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Wait...let me get this straight...your car has 50,000 miles on it and you're thinking of getting rid of it?!

First and most importantly, it's a buyers market right now. You won't get even near the value of your car.

Second, your car is pretty much stock. If you don't want to work on the car, just get into something and drive, then go ahead, get the Mach 1. But there are a million things left to do to your car.

Third, Mach 1's are nice, but they're also becoming rather common. I'd rather have something I built myself than something I bought that looks exactly like what the neighbor has.

Finally...in my opinion Mach 1's are ugly. I may be a bit young at 25, so maybe I wasn't around to appreciate the original, but the rims and the shaker scoop just don't do it for me.

It boils down to what you want. A project car, or a store bought racer. I'd much rather spend $50,000 on my project saleen-devouring stang than buy an S281 or even an S7, but some people like spending the money to say they own a 'saleen'. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
I have felt the same way you do about the Mach I. My 94 Cobra only has 2,100 original miles with some tasteful mods and runs great, but there are times that I wish someone would come along and buy it and I would get a new Mach or Cobra. The only thing you have to remember is if you figure how much money you are going to put in the 94 GT it may seem like a lot but you also have to figure how much are you going to put in the Mach I. If I bought a new Mach I, it wouldn't be long until I would want some 4.10's, a exhaust with a X-pipe, maybe a little nitrous , or maybe the vortech blower kit coming out for them. So when it's all said and done I would probably spend as much in add-ons for the Mach as for the 94. At that point, the 94 will have looked pretty cheap. I drove a new Mach I and it is a different world with the 4.6. It would take some getting used to the motor seeming kinda lazy until it hits 4000, but after that hang-on. A set of gears would be awesome. Or you could buy mine and you'd have a 94 GT and a 94 Cobra! What a deal! Good Luck

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I just have the winter blues!!!! I have not seen my car since the beginning of November. And we are getting a snow storm tomorrow.

So you guys are right, the right $$$ thing to do is start with what I have, even though a new car is fun too.

So I guess I will work on a:

Heads/cam/ intake combo
Cobra/Bullit brakes
Clutch

But what the hell do I do for suspension? The stock one with Eibach springs sucks!!!!!!! My poor roads are beating me up. I know it wont be like my Vette, but Christ, my Ranger is more compliant!

Thanks for your guys input. I really start to hate cars. I want like 20 of them on a income that allows for only a couple.

Chris

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
XSPOWER,
Where did you get your car? New? It is prolly worth a bunch. How much you getting for it? Or local dealer had one he got with 2,000 miles for a far price and sold it for big $$$$.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
CG, I bought the car 5 years ago with 1,900 miles on it. An older couple had bought it new and just drove it on an occasional weekend. They decide to take up camping and decided to sell the cobra to get a dually pick-up for their camper. It's got all the paperwork , window sticker etc. Never been in rain or anything. It is sitting in a carpeted room right now. I don't know what it's worth but I have put a lot of money in it making it a show car. (see my sig below) I have between $35-40,000 in it with all the extra stuff. The motor right now is original, but I have a polished blower, AFR heads, crower cam, B50 block, crower rods, SRP pistons, and on & on. This stuff is all brand new still in boxs waiting to go on. It has a one of a kind custom interior etc. If someone would come along and give me $25,000 for everything, I would probably take it. But then again if I bought a new one it would be just like every other new one out there. It's kinda cool to have something 10 years old but still brand new. Insurance is cheap too! When spring gets here and we go to a Ford Ford Weekend, we'll all be excited again and ready to get the wrenchs out!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts