Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I not use an EGR spacer with a GT 40/Explorer intake on a 89?

I have an Exploer intake upper and lower and What do I do with the EGR spacer on the intake? Do I not use it and if I don't what will it do to the car? Rich or lean? Would seem to make it run rich? Is this so? As in cold.

But how will it run?

Do I just skip it?

Leave it un plugged?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Some of the early explorer intakes had an EGR passage. The newer ones don't. If you don't have the passage, you don't need the spacer.

If you ditch the spacer, you need a bracket for the throttle cable. I think Edelbrock has one for use with one of their intakes. I made one.

If you keep the spacer, you need to make a custom gasket that'll block off the EGR (so you don't get unfiltered air comming in).

While cruising at part-throttle (when the EGR is supposed to opperate), it might run a little hotter (there isn't as much matter to carry the heat out the exhaust).

You're gonna have to relocate the air temp sensor as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where does the Air temp sensor go?

Where does the Air temp sensor go?

This is my first Stang and first Ford.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yes, you need to use the spacer. If you do not, you can get an EGR delete plate, but the problem is you may have to use a 1/2" intake spacer for the throttle linkage to clear the heater core hardlines.

You can get a EGR delete kit to remove the unit:

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/05spec/index.html

Now if you do not want to use the delete kit, you will have to block off the back of the EGR spacer where it mounts to the intake so you dont have a vacuum leak. I used some aluminum in a sheet and cut it to shape. Then since i used the Ron morris plug in to remove the EGR, I got a MR Gasket ford cleveland block off plate and elongated the holes. This way I could still use the stock EGR spacer for a throttle bracket mount. I am thinking of milling it about 1/2" on both sides not to give more clearance for the C&L against the strut tower, but I may not worry about it eithers.

You will need to plug the back of the heads where the EGR passages go.

I removed all the piping and smog pump also to really clean things up. Next is the EGR selenoids on the back of the strut tower. You will need to clean up and rework the vacuum lines for the explorer intake. IT will take some time to do, but you also remove a lot of extra stuff to lighten up the car and clean up the engine bay.

For the ACT, I relocated mine to the airbox. THere is a casting boss in it, drilled and screwd the act in with some silicone on the threads to seal it.

Last thing you need to do is cap the line in the intake that use to to got the EGR spacer for the coolant. Pretty easy there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have GT 40 heads I don't believe they have the EGR holes in the heads. At least not like the stock E7 heads. No big open hole. They are not GTP heads just GT 40s. So I don't think I need to plug the holes. They are threaded. So I'm assuming they don't have a port. When I ported the heads nothing leads to the crossover passage in the middle valves.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts