Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after driving the car for a bit it decided to develop a tick. It was coming from from the passanger side valve cover. I checked the normal things (header leaks exec) and it wasnt any of those. I took the valve cover off and relashed the rockers. That didnt fix it. The reason that I think I need new lifters is that on some of the valves I could push down on the pushrod side of the rocker and collapse the lifter a little bit. The tick gets louder the longer that I drive the car. I can hear it inside the car with the windows up! The interesting thing is that this morning when I started the car I didnt hear the tick for a few seconds!! The oil pressure is where it was before the tick. If you are wondering my mods are in the sig. I really dont want to change the rockers untill I build my new engine, then I was going to get some high rev ones!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Sounds like a lifter. When the engine is cold, the oil will be thicker. So, a "weak" lifter (one that pumps down too quickly) will not be as loud, or will work fine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I also have had this problem. Even with the new motor. I don't know if the pushing down of some of the lifters is normal or not. Some are dead solid and some you can push down on the rocker I'm guessing maybe an eigth of an inch or so. It's fairly obvious as the oil heats up it gets thinner and the noise increases. I just don't know if it's causing any damage or hurting performance a slight amount or not.

I would think that if some of the lifters don't achieve maximum pressure, there will be some give to the valvetrain and the lift and valve timing events may be affected.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts