Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a stock block with edle heads ect- s-trim with stock pullies and a powerpipe-[10 psi] i have a 255 intank pump and the vortech in line --stock lines and rails, now do need the FMU with pump gas [ 92-93] ???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
5speed said:
i have a stock block with edle heads ect- s-trim with stock pullies and a powerpipe-[10 psi] i have a 255 intank pump and the vortech in line --stock lines and rails, now do need the FMU with pump gas [ 92-93] ???

Thanks
I think you're going to be needing at least 42's to be safe. The 36's are a little too close IMO - you could max them out. Id go with 42's and the no FMU for the piece of mind.

peace

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
a guy i used to hang with here and there had a nasty S-trim combo, he tried 36's with NO FMU and 13+PSI and he was blowing HG's and melting pistons quite freqently

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BLOWN1989SALEEN said:
a guy i used to hang with here and there had a nasty S-trim combo, he tried 36's with NO FMU and 13+PSI and he was blowing HG's and melting pistons quite freqently
that would suuuuuuuuuk,-- thanks a ton for the help

·
Registered
105 Posts
would you say the 42`s are to much for a 95 GT with intake, 70mm TB, 80mm MAF, full exhaust, and S-trim be too much?

I would be using a tweecer to tune the car

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
BLOWN1989SALEEN said:
what about my combo at only 6 psi? will 36's be enough?

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
5-Speed,

Check out this thread on 36's with FMU vs 36's without an FMU:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327377

abvon12,

Not sure how you'll keep the boost down to 6 psi......what pulleys are you running? Anyway, IF you keep it at 6 psi, yeah, you'd probably be ok with just 36's......but eventually you'll want more power (everyone does), and then you'll need to do something (FMU, or bigger injectors, something).

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Racer LX said:

abvon12,

Not sure how you'll keep the boost down to 6 psi......what pulleys are you running? Anyway, IF you keep it at 6 psi, yeah, you'd probably be ok with just 36's......but eventually you'll want more power (everyone does), and then you'll need to do something (FMU, or bigger injectors, something).

Hope this helps,
Jim
thanks for the reply. im using the stock pullies. i can probably make like 7-8psi with the setup i have now, i just havent pushed it hard enough because everything is new (clutch and all) and i want to go easy on it for a while untill everything seats properly. so im sure i can make like 7-8 if i push it hard enough. i just have the 36# injectors here right now with MAF and dont know if i should use them.

the problem is, will i have problems just installing them and running it like it is? because right now my car runs like a champ with the 24's and FMU. it runs like stock. its amazing. i would have never thought that after adding a blower it would run this well. i just dont want to HAVE to get a custom chip in order to make the 36's work, you know? i dont have 5-600 right now to give Walsh to tune my car. i know getting it tuned is the best and i will eventually do it. but right now it drives perfectly and i can drive it all i want without any problems. idont want to be forced into getting a chip if i put the 36's in.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi abvcom12,

I had 24's with an FMU on my LX once too, and you're right, they run like stock, which is great. But I have had lots of customers and friends that ran 36's with an FMU and it ran pretty much like my 24's and an FMU did. Don't be scared of trying them. Just keep your idle fuel pressure stock (39#'s with the vacuum line off), and use either a 4:1 or a 6:1 disc on your FMU, and it should be fine.

I would say, if the 24's and FMU are working fine for you, and you're really not needing more fuel, then leave it alone. You really should hit a dyno somewhere tho, to check your air/fuel ratio. That'll tell you if you'll need more injector when you move up on the boost.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
wow Jim, thanks a lot!
that is the first honest answer ive heard actually. i got a lot of "ditch the FMU and go with 42's" and "youll need a chip with the 36's". and this is the first time i actually got an answer saying "if it runs fine, leave it" haha.

im gaugin my air-fuel by my plugs because its the only thing i have to go on right now. and they look really nice light brown. i have my base pressure at 40 with vacuum off.

i dont go to the track and am not wanting to get every last hp out of my car right now (fear of breaking trans/ other things) so really im thinking oll just sell the 36's and keep the 24's. good idea?

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi Adam,

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. I'm a 'keep is simple' kinda guy, and hey, if it works for you, then leave it alone :). Your plugs should pretty much be a nice, tannish color when all is well, so I think what you are seeing is ok. Like I said before, if you get a chance to put it on a dyno, that'd be great. But if your plugs look good, and you dont hear any pinging, then iI'll bet you're fine.

As far as selling the 36's, well, I would say unless you really need the $$, I would just keep them. Like I tell my customers, sooner or later you're gonna want to go faster, and if you have the parts now and you can just sit on them, then I would keep them for when the urge to step things up hits you. That'll be one less thing to buy then.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
91GTFiveO said:
Adam,

what fmu ratio are you running w/ the 24's?
John,
ive got the 8:1 disc with my 24's. thanks for the PM by the way. ive got the adjustable FMU that ATI supplies so i can turn the bleeder valve to go lower on the FMU without a problem. thats not my worry. i just dont want to have drivability probs with the 36's and be foreced to get a dyno tune. like i said above, my car drives perfect the way it sits so im almost scared to mess with it. my car is purely street driven. its never sen teh track in the 2 years ive owned it. so im not wanting to get every little bit out of it, you know?

keep it coming guys!

take care,
adam

·
Registered
954 Posts
Adam,

As mentioned above, if you think it's running safe with the 24's, leave it. I would definitely go do a couple of dyno pulls to check a/f though before you rely on them, since you haven't pushed the motor to the limit yet. Just .02

John

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
sounds good to me John.

did you (or anybody) have any drivability probs when stepping up to injectors in the 30's or higher? thats all im concerned about. if its not goign to hurt me in any way using them than ill for sure do it. can the injectors just lower the duty cycle (at idle) as needed and nothing will essentially change but the amount the CAN flow up top?

take care,
adam

·
Registered
954 Posts
Adam,

I didn't have any probs when I stepped up to 30's from the stockers. Idled great. I did have some idle roughness when I installed the morpheus pipe, but I think it's due to the maf not being clocked optimally - I only tried a couple of positions and didn't fine tune it. It's really only a tad rough when cold now. When warm it idles very smooth. When I switch to a pro-m 80 next year, I hope it is as smooth.

John

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
hmm, that makes me want to just throw them in. im getting my GSS340 pump late this week hopefully so when i put that in i know it will be enough fuel to feed the 36's. what would you do in my case?

thanks,
adam

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
When I went to 42's mu car won't idle when its cold it lopes bad! But give it 5 minutes and it runs great only driveability difference I've seen is it backfires more durring downshifting, nothing violent just muffled burbles...kinda cool.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I also get some backfiring on decel, but I think I can tune it out by backing off my fuel pressure. I have it at about 41 psi vac off right now and it seems a little rich. But I wanted to add a little for safety since I'm not running a btm right now.

Adam, IMO I'd try out the 36's with recal'd maf. Not too much of a time investment to install. At the very least you can know that you'll have enough injector when you stomp on it hard for the first time with your current combo:evil:

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Adam,

I ran my stock 95 cobra (24lb injectors) with full exhaust and s trim v2 with stock pulleys, plastic pipes and cheap FMU with the right disc.

the car ran so smooth and you couldnt tell if it was blown :evil:

i took the mofo to 6000 rpms (rev limiter set at 6100 rpm) under hard conditions with no problems. and went to the track once and ran the worse time due to tracking problems 1st, 2nd and 3d lol

I say if you keep the stock vortech plastic pipes and pulley, you'll be fine. if you get a power pipe it is going to blow for sure !

right now i have the exact setup as before except a fresh motor and 6037 heads. im thinking about just doing the samething but.....im a bit scared because i will be pushing a bit more power with the alum heads. so I might havet to step up to 30lbs.

dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts