Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok do i have this right?

1. The camshaft touches the roller lifters, that touch the pushrods, which touches the rockers, which touches the valves to open which are moved back into closed posttion by the valve springs?
Is that sequence correct?

Now when I swap my intake for a eddy performer and i have the valve covers off. What all can i do that is easy to get to.

2. For example, can i change my roller rockers, springs, and push rods while the valve covers are off? or only the roller rockers and valve springs?

3. And how hard is it while the lower intake and valve covers are off is it to change the timing chain, lifters, and camshaft?

4. Or should i make them two seperate jobs for simplicity sake.
Just do the rockers and springs while the valve covers are off,
and then another day do the timing chain, lifters, and camshaft, and leave the pushrods alone.

Please give me some advice so i have the proper parts before I begin the job. Please refer to the numbered questions for your answers for simplicity sake. Thanks. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
With the intake and valve covers off you can take it apart down to the lifters. I can't remember if there is room to pull the lifters on the 302 but I know you can on the 351w without pulling the heads. You need to get the lifters out of the way to change the cam. Do do that the pushrods at least need to come out too.

I'd say do the jobs together if a cam swap is going to happen. Yoyu'll have it all apart anyways.

If it's just the timing chain then you can easily do it seperately.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
On the 302 with roller lifters I think the lifters can be removed with the heads on. Some of the first years 86 all but 4 might not be removeable. I know with older 302 and older 351W heads on a roller block I believe the 4 lifters one lifter from each end cant be removed. The newer heads have some casting changes around the push rod hole to allow removal. Not shure whin the change was iplimented.

·
Registered
759 Posts
SorsCode said:
you can remove the lifters with the heads on... I've done it before.
yep, you just got to loosen the rockers so you can get the pushrods out of the way.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Do the 2 jobs together.. To remove the cam, you have to take off the timing chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts