Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short:

Refering to 1994 V6 5-Speed

Tried to jimmy-rig something in my coolant system (two hints: ~1" hair-line crack in radiator from over heating and RTV red silicone/gasket maker :eeek:) to buy me another week, and lasted about 30 miles in this Virginia heat we've been having. Car shut itself down on an interstate going 65-67mph, and won't start. Not proud of it at all, realize it was stupid and that it doesn't work, but I've learned and don't need to be riden about it.

Here's the case: when I crank the engine, it doesn't sound right. When a normal engine cranks, you can here the chugging soung of the pistons moving up and down under compression. Mine does it some, but mostly just whines, and sounds like the starter is engaging the flywheel, but just free spinning it because there is no compression behind it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Probably popped a head gasket from overheating it...especially if you did to the point where it shut down. 3.8s would tend to do so anyway once the mileage got high

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The crack in the radiator was right by the CCRM. If that got wet and fried, would that cause this "not sounding right when I crank the engine" sound?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
What do you mean, "anyone"? You've gotten 3 replies.

If there's oil in the coolant or a milkshake in the oilpan, you have a cracked head or blown headgasket

If it freewheels completely when it cranks, you have NO compression, which could be a broken timing chain except usually when that happens some cylinders will be closed and it'll generate compression on those ones and crank slower/harder on those cylinders

1 - 6 of 6 Posts