Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a lentech AOD with a 12" 2000 stall non lockup converter with 3:73s. First gear pulls nicely (stall could be higher though), second gears pulls even harder, but once I click it up to 3rd, it just doesnt seem like its pulling as hard as the other gears.

Whats the deal with this? Is it like this with all AOD's, or is it the gearing or could it be the simple fact that I have 185,500 miles on a stock engine?

Im sure if I throw in the 9" 2400 stall and the 342 stroker, it should keep pulling in all gears.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Heres a quick ? for you... What speedo gear are you using? I have a 3.73 w/ AOD and need to find out quick , thanks...

PS... My AOD is stock as of now , and it pulls ok in D if Im doing about 45 and actually in OD it pulls nice @ around 65 too... :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give me one quick minute to find the receipt... ill reply back in a minute.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok. I dont know which one this is, but I have the part number for it.

From the writing on the receipt... it looks like

D00Z17271-B

According to the local police road radars, if im doing 45, the radar says 42.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hmm , thanks.. Im assuming Ford will have this part... You wouldnt by chance know the color would you? Some guy on here said I need a red 19 tooth , but others have said the 23 white tooth , which I have now...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Thanks , unless Lentech has a different gear inside the AOD , Im assuming I need the 21 tooth purple.. Right now I have the white 23 tooth.. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
4,821 Posts
My stock AOD with 9" 3000rpm stall converter from Edge Racing and a Baumann shift kit does likewise. Third gear isn't as optimized as I'd like. I am looking into a Lentech down the road. Please keep me posted on how you like yours.

Edit- I do like the 3k rpm stall converter though. It isn't too high though this is a lock up version.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Leadsled: the lockup converter won't pull as hard in third because it locks in 3rd as well as 4th.

BLK89: The non lockup converter should pull as hard in 3rd as all the other gears. It probably has more to do with it being a 12" converter instead of the lighter 9".

Red 89: the best way to find out what gear you need is to look inside the tailstock of the trans for the drive gear and find out how many teeth it has. Most 90 and up aod's had 8 tooth gears and a 23 tooth won't get you all the way correct. If you have the 7 tooth gear, you might be able to get the right gear to fix the speedo.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, thats what I was thinking also (other than than the motor being worn out and in need of an overhaul)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
davs5.0 said:
Red 89: the best way to find out what gear you need is to look inside the tailstock of the trans for the drive gear and find out how many teeth it has. Most 90 and up aod's had 8 tooth gears and a 23 tooth won't get you all the way correct. If you have the 7 tooth gear, you might be able to get the right gear to fix the speedo. [/B]
Yes , I have the 7 tooth... Another member said I need the red 19 tooth.. Sorry to blk89 for all the stupid ?'s

·
Registered
479 Posts
Red, I believe Steeda's website has a calculator for speedo gears. May want to check it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts