Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking because when I bought my car this past weekend I noticed I have a little red light. So I went to my local ford dealership to pick up a remote, and they programed it.

The remote has 4 buttons:

Lock
Unlock
Panic
Trunk

When I press the lock button it locks the doors, then I press it again it honks the horn. But when I tried to set of the alarm nothing happens, when you press the panic button the damn thing wakes up the whole neigborhood.

So my question is, Is this really a Alarm?, Or just some kind of fake anti theft device to scare theives away?

Also my little red light doesn't work So i'll get that replaced soon.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
A factory alarm was an option on the 94 up cars. I think someone has put a aftermarket alarm on yours though and when you bought it didn't give you the remote. Little red lights are not part of the factory alarm system. if you have a factory alram system whenever you open the door trunk, or hood with the car off and key out a orange light in the gauge cluster will blink "security" If it don't blink then you don't have a factory alarm. if you have little red lights mounted on the console or dash those came wiyh a aftermarket alarm. look around under your dash. that is where the aftermarket alarm brains are usually found.

Shawn

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so all my remote is for, is keyless entry?

The ford guy didn't say I had an aftermarket alarm.(actaully he didn't say much of anything):lol:

he looked under my dash, then turned my key like 7-8 times said " You have a different system" went in my trunk on the left side pulled away carpet and messed with something back there, that made the doors unlock, and lock.

He then said "you're all set" pressed the buttons to make sure they worked, then I left.

are you positive?:confused:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yep. Get out your owners manual and read it. It will explain the functions of the keyless entry and alarm. You don't have a factory alarm if when you open you door with the car off and key out a light on teh dash doesn't blink security. What the ford guy was doing when he was turning your switch on and off was trying to program your new remote using the 99-up system which is diferent. If you pull your trim panel away on the pasenger die of your trunk you will say a little connector with 2 prongs sticking up. Short those together and the doors will lock and hten unlock. press a button on the remote and then turn your swich off and you are then you are done. The factory security system has no little red lights though. So unless your security lights blink you have little more than keyless entry.

shawn

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn damn damn:(

I didn't wanna hear that.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
you can take you car to a stereo shop that sells alarms and tell them you want them to look at and see if it has a aftermarket alarm on it. If it does the stereo shop can point you in the right way to get a new remote for it. The aftermarket alarm may be wired for keyless entry too. IF you don't have one or someone removed you can get a new nice alarm for like $100 or so.

Shawn

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you happen to have a link to our owners manual?

they didn't give me that either:p

that's funny because my 1990 came with all it's books

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
MY car has the same thing as dariusman18 is talking about. Except mine doesnt have any little red light. It has that keychain thing that has Lock/Unlock Panic and Trunk. I press the lock button once, it locks the doors, press it twice and the car beeps and lights flash quickly (i think). Then if i go to press the unlock button, press once and it unlocks drivers door, press twice and it unlocks both doors. Also if anyone tries to open the doors when its locked the rearview mirror lights come on. I cant seem to find any info on an alarm, just about keyless entry. I read all through my owners handbook too. Im possitive the car doesnt have an aftermarket alarm. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I figured it out, My car just came with keyless entry. And who ever owned the car put a alarm in it, but they took the actual alarm out, and left the light in. I called Ford to confrim this, and then took it to a stereo shop to examine it, and they confirmed what some of your guys said. "I DON'T HAVE A STOCK ALARM"

JUST KEYLESS ENTRY, which is ok with me because I live in a good neighborhood, but when I starting moding it to hell, a alarm is a must.

anyway thanks for your help guys.:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Heres a weird one for ya. My 95 has an alarm but no keyless entry!:confused: when I open my doors the "theft" light blinks in my speedo cluster, but when I took my trunk apart to program a transmitter I bought there was no connector to short out. I have no idea how im supposed to use the alarm but I just wish it had keyless entry.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
if ya went to look for the conector thing on the passenger side you will never find it. I accidently posted the wrong side to look in earlier in this thread sorry. You look on the DRIVER SIDE.you will see it sticking up it is not conected to anything and has 2 wires coming from it. Here is a way to tell if you car came with keyless entry. Lock you car. from the outside door handle pull it while it is locked. the interior light should come on. Also the cars with keyless entry have a battery saver features which are like if you leave you doors open or interior lights on they will autimaticlly turn off after 45 minutes. If your car does this then you have keyless entry. The easiest way to tell is to look for the little connector on the DRIVER'S Side in the trunk. I would imagine since your car has the factory alarm (a fairly rarely ordered factory option) then you would have keyless entry too. Hope this helps ya.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Oh and also on how to use the alarm just look in the owners manual. it will explain it all. if you don't have a owners manual let me know and i will explain it to ya. I am pretty sure you will have keyless entry with the alarm though since the alarm can be armed and disarmed with the remote.

Shawn

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad you have one. Well I still have the "Panic" button, If I see someone around my car I'll press it.(that will scare them)

:lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was checking out the drivers side, there was the anti theft module back there, but not the connector I need. I pulled out the owners manual last night and it looks like I can use the alarm without transmitters, it just seems really weird someone would go through the trouble of ordering the alarm but not the keyless entry. :confused:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
check for keyless entry the other ways i told you to just to make sure. It will be the first one i have seen that has the alarm and no keyless entry. The connector may have fallen down in htere somewhere.

shawn

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just went and checked it out. When I pulled the door handle when it was locked the dome light didnt come on. After I first got the 95 I emailed some electrical designer who worked on the sn95s and asked him If I could just add the keyless entry module, and he said its a whole different main wirring harness. My car must be rare with this factory option:p

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
that is turly wierd. I didn't really think they could be had with the alarm and without keyless entry. It would not be a plug and play to add keyless entry to it because it has a lot of other little features that come with the keyless entry like the illuminated entry and battery saver functions. You can go to an stereo shop and have them install a real alarm and keyless entry system on it for less than $200. Crutchfield has a alarm system that plugs right in to the factory wiring harness and comes with keyless entry and a whole bunch of other stuff. you could install that one yourself probably.

shawn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts