Ford Mustang Forums banner

DIYPNP, Will it fit in stock location

6K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Blown88GT 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows if the DIYPNP will fit concealed in the stock kickpanel. I know it won't mount the same, as it's a bit thicker...but can you unplug the stock computer and fit the DIYPNP in the same area...plugging it back into the oem harness...and put the kickpanel back in place?

#4 ·
Mine did not fit, housing too thick, see pics. Confirmed by DIYAutotune.
Mounted where you see it in pic, factory harness just reaches. Made custom "quick release" bracket/holder. Space inside kick panel is used for added relay & cabling & connectors for wideband. Wideband controller is mounted next to the ECU & is not on quick-release.

Attachments

#8 ·
Yours is not a DIYPNP, it's an MSPNP2 (or just PNP). Case (housing) is not the same. Compare the pic to mine, you can see the difference. Mine is maybe 1/4" thicker. There was nothing on DIY's website about it & didn't find out until it was assembled & ready to install & didn't fit & I emailed them & then they confirmed it. Let's just say, I was not happy.

BTW, title of this thread is: DIYPNP, Will it fit in stock location
Answer is NO.

#10 ·
No mention of the freakin' case not fitting into the stock location.
DIYPNP Ford 60 pin EEC-IV Unassembled Kit DIYAutoTune.com

Only says this:
Ford 60 pin DIYPNP connectors are temporarily out of stock. This kit ships without the connector; you will need to salvage one out of a junkyard ECU.

& still says this below the above statement:
Complete kit contains everything you need to assemble a DIYPNP ECU for cars with the 60 pin Ford EEC-IV connector. Includes MicroSquirt module and case. Unlike most DIYPNPs, this kit includes a used connector.

It should have said this:
Includes MicroSquirt module and case which won't fit in the stock location.

& this farther down the list:
OEM ECU Connector to plug right into the factory harness!

Their documentation sucks. I even wrote an assembly & installation manual to help me with it. I was going to give it to them & they had no interest. I put the pdf file on the web. It's there until Comcrap eliminates personal web space on 10/8/15.
DIYPNPF60-K Manual Final, Rev.#1

#11 ·
So I guess the question is, how much different are the sn95 kick panels from the fox body? Why the hell would the make a plug and play that doesn't fit the stock location? It would be easier to use a ms2 with the db cable and adaptor box to remote mount it...an extension cable for the Diypnp seems like it would be a major pita.

#15 ·
So I guess the question is,
1. how much different are the sn95 kick panels from the fox body?
2. Why the hell would the make a plug and play that doesn't fit the stock location?
3. It would be easier to use a ms2 with the db cable and adaptor box to remote mount it...an extension cable for the Diypnp seems like it would be a major pita.
1. Don't know.
2. It's the same case for all vehicles, only the connector & 1 end panel is different. Inside the case are 3 circuit boards: Main Board & Microsquirt Module (both the same for all vehicles), Connector Board (different for every vehicle). The boards slide into rails inside the case. They are standard cases manufactured for years by many suppliers. The end panels have holes cut to supply individual needs. Obviously, no one thought about seeing if the case would fit in the stock location on a Fox Body.
DIYPNP - The Build It Yourself Plug and Play ECU! Megasquirt Kits / Assembled Engine Management Systems, Wideband o2 Sensor Systems and tuning products - DIYAutoTune.com
3. That would require mounting 2 boxes, instead of 1.

The big problem is that the Ford 60-pin connectors on the EEC-IV are no longer available, even from the salvage yards, which is where DIY was getting them from. Any they can salvage go to the MS2PNP.

I have a couple designs for a revised connector interface which would allow the use of the factory harness connector or an alternate without cutting anything. Out of 60 pins, 10 were spares & I used 1 for the wide band O2. Not enough pins on a DB-37. They do have d-sub 50's which were used for computer SCSI drives. You need a 60-pin (or greater) to do a 1-for-1, just to keep pinouts the same & confusion to a minimum.

#12 ·
If you remove the factory plastic bracket it still won't fit? I've got a MSPNP and it's slightly thicker than the factory ecu, though not quite as thick as the DIYPNP and I ended up just taking out the factory bracket to use the auxiliary connector on the top anyways. I used some industrial velcro and just stuck it back into the factory spot sans bracket. Getting the bracket out is a pain but doable if you're willing to remove the blower for the HVAC unit.

#14 ·
I would love to...however, I'm needing something that has the capability of accommodating a stepper IAC, as I plan on using a 4150 throttle body (I've read the diypnp has this ability using the extra db cable output and the proto area). You have mentioned that you have an adapter that can accomplish this...but were now getting up in a price range I'm uncomfortable with. My guess is, your board being a pnp doesn't have the proto area to be able to accomblish this.

I think a this point, I need to get the overall dimensions of the diypnp and just do a quick mock-up to see if it will fit. If it doesn't, I guess I'll have to go with the ms2 and the BOB to remote mount.

#18 ·
I can fit a full sized megasquirt in the kick panel of my 94. I haven't tried but I doubt I'd be unable to make the DIYPNP fit too. I don't have a fox anymore to compare but it could very well have less room.

#20 ·
DIYPNPF60
7-1/2" L (6-7/8", not including mounting flanges or connector)
6-1/8" W
1-7/8" H

EEC-IV
6-7/8" (not including connector)
6-1/8" W
1-1/2" H

#21 ·
Thanks, it looks like it's slightly thicker than the ms2's published dims 6.2x4x1.75 (7.2x4x1.75 with the flanges)
L W H
MS2 6.2 4 1.75
DIYPNP 6.875 6.125 1.785

Looks like I'll be mocking it up.

#22 ·
Make it fit.

#25 ·
I think the "PNP" verbiage infers that it should fit into the stock location. A simple way around this would be a statement that reminds the user of the generic PNP case and that it may not fit in the stock location. Of course, it may also help to provide the overall sizes of the case in the product description as well.

I think many of us would prefer to not see the finished product which presents some issues with generic case sizes.

#27 ·
#29 ·
Could have made it smaller so no one will see it.

We know the Ford won't fit, put the statement in big, bold type, right here:
DIYPNP Ford 60 pin EEC-IV Unassembled Kit DIYAutoTune.com

Add the dimensions, too.

DIYPNPF60
7-1/2" L (6-7/8", not including mounting flanges or connector)
6-1/8" W
1-7/8" H

#30 ·
Just came across this looking for something else. The DIYPNP WILL FIT IN A SN95. It's in mine and has been there for a couple of years. I removed the plastic retainer bracket that holds the factory ecu at the top, routed my MAP hose out of the door frame/jamb area with a grommet and routed my serial cable so it lives in the glove box.I padded the ecu area with a little dense foam. Fits nice and snug. No rattles. Getting the small bolts out that hold the retainer is a little tricky.

#31 ·
I actually like it better mounted like this. Can be removed from bracket in less than 1 minute. Then remove connector while it lying on the floor. Also, gives a place for the WBO2 controller to reside. WBO2 Controller relay is inside the kick panel.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.