Ford Mustang Forums banner

Distributor shims?

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Cutlass327 
#1 ·
I noticed I have about 1/8" vertical movement with the dist shaft in the housing. Is there supposed to be shims in there between the housing and the collar? I compared the 86 Mustang to the 89 F150 distributor I have, and they are the same. It seems to be an awful lot there.

If there are shims needed, where do I find them? All I see are SBC and universal ones.

Seems I cannot upload the 8 second video I made...

#2 · (Edited)
There is supposed to be some play in the shaft vertically.
.024 to .035 is the correct spec. If the distributor gear is riding on the surface down in the block near the middle of the end play, it should have half that end play while mounted in the block.

#3 ·
Ok, put the 86's HO distributor into the 89 truck engine (converted to a HO). I was snugging down the hold down, and noticed it didn't feel right. Looking closer, I saw a gap between the block and the distributor "shoulder". Would it be the oil pump shaft or is there a difference between distributors? I plan to try pulling the shaft tomorrow and comparing it to the OEM one.

#4 ·
I've had that happen when the clip on the shaft was too high up.

#6 ·
I've had that happen when the clip on the shaft was too high up.
This would make sense. Unfortunately, I already have it in the vehicle, oil pan filled with 6qts of 5w30 (using the truck's oil pan), and the oil pump is all primed.....
Is there a way to adjust it in the vehicle???

But wait... put it in the block from the bottom, then the pump on. That ring is on the bottom of the block, would be setting on top of the oil pump drive shaft. So unless it is not letting it go into the oil pump far enough... Can I just tap on it with a punch and hammer to drive the shaft down some?

Is it possbile there was a difference in the flat tappet cam EFI 302 and roller lifter EFI 302 distributors that would cause this?
That's what I am curious about. I measured from bottom of housing to tip of shaft, and it is the same, but I cannot measure gear positioning due to I took the gear off the truck dist to use it to prime the oil pump. I couldn't see it making much difference though, as it is a roller block using a flat tappet for the truck, and I am using the roller cam distributor in it. I've never heard of "setting up" a distributor to fit a block, which is what has me pondering that.

#10 ·
Well, it worked. I put the gearless on in, tapped on the top of the shaft with a hammer, and it all seated right in. Thank you!

Now if I can only remember which O2 plug is left and right on the harness.... one is longer than the other - any help?

#12 ·
That's what I am curious about. I measured from bottom of housing to tip of shaft, and it is the same, but I cannot measure gear positioning due to I took the gear off the truck dist to use it to prime the oil pump. I couldn't see it making much difference though, as it is a roller block using a flat tappet for the truck, and I am using the roller cam distributor in it. I've never heard of "setting up" a distributor to fit a block, which is what has me pondering that.
[/QUOTE]

You can’t use a roller cam distributor with a flat tappet cam without premature wear. The distributor gear is made of steel on a roller cam distributor and cast on a flat tappet distributor. They look the same, but the steel gear will eat the teeth on your flat tappet cam because it is harder. Roller cams are harder than flat tappet cams. Something to check into.

#13 · (Edited)
You can’t use a roller cam distributor with a flat tappet cam without premature wear. The distributor gear is made of steel on a roller cam distributor and cast on a flat tappet distributor. They look the same, but the steel gear will eat the teeth on your flat tappet cam because it is harder. Roller cams are harder than flat tappet cams. Something to check into.

Yep, that's why I am reusing the roller dist in this block. I swapped a roller into a 89 F150 block, it was already drilled/tapped for the lifter spider, so it was easy. I knew of the different metals too, but I also confirmed it on here before I Assumed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.