Ford Mustang Forums banner

Distributor/advance/timing advice please...

641 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ltdrifter 
#1 ·
I have been having a little bit of a ping problem since I built my 388, if I tried to run more than 4-6* initial advance (on stock duraspark), it would ping. I know the stock advance curve on an 87 dist is probably not right for this engine to begin with. After putting up with the low timing,knowing that my car was not running up to it's full potential, I pulled the hose off the vacuum advance to see if it would help. It ran like a slug at 4*, I turned it up to 12 and it came alive! This car hasn't run this good since I've had it, but I still think it could be better.

A friend of mine gave me a Mallory Unilite mechanical advance dist to try, I'll have to change the plug wire boots and rerun some wiring, but it's no big deal. Would this be a worthwhile swap?

Do I really need vacuum advance anyway?

Could someone tell me how to change the advance curve on either or both of these distributors? (Duraspark/Mallory Unilite)

Where should I set the advance? initial/total@?rpm.

This is mainly a street car with fairly high gears so performance off idle to 3000 is important. See sig for details and thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
ltdrifter said:
I have been having a little bit of a ping problem since I built my 388, if I tried to run more than 4-6* initial advance (on stock duraspark), it would ping. I know the stock advance curve on an 87 dist is probably not right for this engine to begin with. After putting up with the low timing,knowing that my car was not running up to it's full potential, I pulled the hose off the vacuum advance to see if it would help. It ran like a slug at 4*, I turned it up to 12 and it came alive! This car hasn't run this good since I've had it, but I still think it could be better.
Well somewhere between 10 and 16 should be where you want it. Its its pining then you most likely need better fuel I had my distribtor recurved for total timing of 38 degrees and I know if I run premium fuel with octane booster I can run 14 degrees without any pinging. On EFI engines the computer makes the advance adjustments. The duraspark ignition is more then fine for your engine and if you plan on driving it on the street then vaccum advance is a must. I know you can get a set of springs and weights from Jegs for the duraspark maybe give that a try.

Good luck
Allen

#5 ·
update:

I went ahead and put in the Unilite, Car runs 100% better, is showing 12* initial, 28@ 2000. I didn't want to wind it any tighter at 10:30p in my quiet neighborhood, took it out on the expressway and it is a night and day difference. I can run up to 16* initial now with no ping. No off idle acceleration problems, will try it on a hilly road tomorrow.

I had even tried straight 100LL aviation gas and still had pinging. I normally run Amoco 93 in it. I guess it was excessive vacuum advance. Unilite is mechanical only so one more pain in the butt eliminated. I will figure out the timing curve and post it for opinions. It feels good, but I want perfection.

I got the nickname Luke the Drifter in high school, we had a talent show, I did the worst Hank Williams Sr. imitation anybody had ever seen. One of my teachers started calling me that at roll call, I have never lived it down. I shortened that to ltdrifter for an e-mail addy. The stang tends to drift if I overpower it in a turn, but that's the only time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.