Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, building engine. almost done. when putting in the distr. i dont remember how to position it? do i bring cylinder #1 to TDC, and then position it so the rotor is just to the right of the #1 point on the cap, or is it on, or is it to the left. i know this is just an estimate and i have to use the timing gun once i get it running. I just want to get it close because you can only turn it so much once its in because of the tfi connector. Please help me with some feedback:evil:

·
Registered
41 Posts
put cyl #1 to TDC. make sure it's on the power stroke (both valves closed or if you have the covers on, you can put your thumb over the plug hole and should feel compression if it's on the power stroke). Once it's at TDC on the power stroke on CYL#1, I usually aim the rotor a little to the left of cyl 1 on the cap. That way it's a little advanced and the TFI connector usually winds up in the right position.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, if anyone differs please reply

·
Registered
474 Posts
bobg nailed it for ya' follow his instructions and you should fire it right up....

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
He nailed it. Since the dist. rotates as you slide it in you have to turn the rotor about to 10:30 or 11 o'clock then stab the dist. It should end up just about straigt up. You should be able to eyeball it. Look down at your crank and you should see the timing mark sitting between 5 and 15 degrees... Then you can put the cap on and you'll see where the rotor is lined up to. If it's not under #1 with the dist rotated where you want it then you're off a tooth.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Excellent advice, Make sure its on the compression stroke.. One thing i might add: Try to position that large plug on the distributer close to the water neck, for some reason this made a difference on one engine I assembled upon starting it up..

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts