Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Anyone with a '79-86 'stang ever use the Distinctive Industries upholstery kit on their front seats? Any complaints? I just did my back seats and it looks pretty good. Do the front seats recover just like stock or do the lower side bolsters not get covered separately?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ttt

There must be someone?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I don't know about the new mustang upholstery, but all of their other kits are high quality. I used to see their classic Camaro and Mustang stuff all the time... Reputable company, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do they have Recaro seat covers?

·
Registered
356 Posts
How much is the kit?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/

Not much on their website right now...

The 79-86 Mustang (cloth) kit was $420. Well, dropped off my seats to the upholstery shop and they will be installing the upholstery kit... Will post how it came out if anyone is interested?

- Mark

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm very happy with the Distinctive Industries upholstery kit! The red piping is a little on the fuzzy side, but not too bad. It's certainly better than the original stuff which was worn and finding a pair of original seats in perfect shape is impossible. I spent about $360 in shop labor, but they did a great job. The covers HAVE to be steamed or else the wrinkles will never come out, so don't let anyone tell you that you can just install them right out of the box. I think Mustang Enthusiast installed them right out of the box in their most recent issue and they looked like crap.

Here are a few pics...

http://webpages.charter.net/Quik5oh/pictures/Pass1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/Quik5oh/pictures/Seats2.jpg

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
VERY nice. My seats have gone as far as turning gray from tan they are so freakin' faded. :(

Oh well, Corbeau's are in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
hey the seats look good, but why is there a cheby in your garage for?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GT-TT, I have some BRAND NEW Corbeau TRS that I never installed in the box if you are interested?

Ford Freak, I knew someone would comment on the cheby! LOL! I actually took the pics at my folks house when I was visiting, I was showing my dad (Z28 is his) the car after all the interior work was complete.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quik5oh said:
GT-TT, I have some BRAND NEW Corbeau TRS that I never installed in the box if you are interested?
No, thanks.

I'm looking to get the GTS-II's. I like the stockish look better. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you, I am happy with them and they seem to be wearing very well so far and have similar durability to the factory fabric. I don't drive the car everyday, in fact, only a few times a month, but they are holding up just fine.

I believe that they steamed the fabric/foam before installation and may have steamed sections that weren't perfect (or to their liking) after installation. However, don't install them without removing any and all wrinkles/creases or they will never look right as the wrinkles/creases will not work themelves out.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of the DI covers for my seats. I have another question: Do I need "hog ring" pliers to do the install? I don't mind buying them, but if the DI covers don't use them I'll just squander the money foolishly somewhere else. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts