Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup I am almost done with mine I have a 65 it was an inline 6 but now it is going to be a 408 stroker beast as for the brakes the Ford Granada 75-80 spindles out will work and a 74 Ford Maverick master cylinder go to this web site it has a ton of info , pictures and part numbers to do so www.mustangsteve.com it will have all the info you need

·
Registered
228 Posts
www.greenvalleysales.com will sell you a NEW 74 Maverick master cylinder for $75.00 + ship ( I think they had 6 left, last time I checked). I think Steve just sold his last one to me. As far as going with the Granada method, the price of the machine work, new pads and the rest of the parts is now getting real close to buying a set of Wilwoods new. If you want a set of Wilwoods I can get you a great deal on some. Better then Jegs or Summit.

Ron

·
Registered
19 Posts
Question?

I understand that you have to use the tapered tie rod end for the spindle side when doing a Granada spindle swap.. But what inner tie rod and sleeve combination do you use?? I have brand new Granada outers, mustang inners and mustang adjusting sleeves.. The problem is, I cant get the front end of my car to remotely line up.. With the sleeves adjusted all the way in and the ends of the tie rods touching, my car is still majorly, majorly toed in..

P.S.
The car is a 66 stang coupe, V8, all new steering (manual) from the box to the tie rods..

Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cashburn,

Yes, but all the stuff that was purchased was for manual steering with the exception of the outers which came with the brake swap kit..

Pat

·
Registered
251 Posts
I believe you need to get the manual steering adapter to make it all work properly then. I am a '67 guy so I don't have that dilemna.

GT350Clone would know this stuff.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's not unusaul to have to trim 1/2" off the tie rod ends in a Granada swap to get the toe-in within spec. Won't hurt anything to do so, as you'll still have plenty of thread engagement...

Is the engine in the car? If not, the front end will sit up high & toe-in.

I assume you replaced the center link and pitman/idler arms???:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
GT350clone,

Yes the pitman/idler arms have been changed.. Yes there is a engine in the car, but there are no front end body panels i.e.; hood, fenders, etc.. I will try cutting 1/2" off of the inners to see if that works.. IF NOT ALL THE NEW FRONT END PARTS ARE FOR SALE AND IM BUYING A RCM MII KIT...

Pat

·
Registered
215 Posts
ANy other mods? I had horrible toe change problems after the Granada swap, most of which was atrributed to the Global West control arms not being compatible with the Granada parts...

BTW, where in Missouri are you - I'm in Kansas, just outside KC...

·
Registered
19 Posts
GT350clone,

The car is a 66 coupe. Suspension wise, for the front it has the Granada disc swap, shelby control arm relocate, 520 springs, stock sway bar, 90/10 shocks. The rear has mustangs plus 5 leaf springs, southside lift bars. I had plans on running a 408 stroker, but have since changed my plans to running a little high strung 289. The motor is not together but I have parts from TFS, lunati, milodon, edelbrock, blah, blah, blah... for a motor. I acquired a lincoln versailles disc brake 9" for the rear. No gears yet.. It will be running a C4/3500 stall with a reverse manual valve body.

I live just outside of New Melle, which is about an hour west of STL..

Pat

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like a beast - nice motor combo! :cool:

I'd try trimming the ends - sounds like it'll get you in the ballpark. You ought to invite Mike Burch to come over to this forum - sharp guy! ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
You may also get some additional adjustablity with the Baer bump steer eliminator kit. I guess Cloney would know for sure though.

One thing to note is with that kit you have to make sure you get the right "pins" for your spindles ... if you have the Granadas then you need the later/larger pins. Got a set of those collecting dust in my tool box.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GT350clone & Cashburn,

Well trimming the tierods didnt fix the problem, now I ran out of threaded area.. Im going to take a whole assembly to the parts store (inner, outer, adj. sleeve) and try to come up with a shorter unit..

Pat

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yep - sounds like something is WAY out of whack there! 1/2" of trimming should have done the trick... some wrong parts or something going on...........:confused:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm getting a little lost here. Do you know for a fact what spindles you have? This is completely wrong ... I know what that's like. Ask Cloney if he remembers my Granada dilemna from years ago, HA! Sold that bucket of grease and rust in the classifieds...

Did I mention I HATE Granada swaps ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cashburn,

I was told by the previous owner that the kit was a Jims mustang Granada swap kit, that is all I can go from since all of the parts were in a big box when bought the car. I bought an entire manual steering rebuild kit and installed the granada swap kit at the same time. I used the inner tie rods from the rebuild kit and the outer tie rods from the granada swap kit, due to the hole difference between the mustang and granada spindles.. The swap kit came with a wilwood proportioning valve, spindles, rotors, bearings, calipers, blah, blah, blah... it was all brand new never installed..

IM LOST.....

Pat

·
Registered
251 Posts
Get a part number off your centerlink. Measure it too for comparison here.

I'd suggest the same for the pitman arm and idler arm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cashburn,

I dont have anything left to get the part numbers off of, I cant find the receipt in the folder for the new parts, but I did measure the tie rod center to center on the centerlink. The centerline distance for the tie rods on the centerlink is 18.5".

Pat

1 - 20 of 41 Posts