Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DIS-4 in the box new, but I still have to get tach adapters... is it worth the extra PITA of getting tach adapters and installing that BOX, or are those Screaming Demon Coil packs enough punch for my Vobra?

And if I do go ahead and install the DIS, can I use the 2-step SAFELY under boost....i.e. on the starting line? It sure would make my 5-speed launching life Sooooo much easier, and consistant....

I cannot wait to get the blower and suspension done so I can go RACING!!!!!!!:joy:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I dont know.. but let me know how your car runs when you get all the rest put on!!! Besides your headers we will be runnin almost the same setup! I have a [email protected] 80 goin on tomorrow with a power pipe :joy:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bout the only difference will be my 3.33" pulley and AFM pipe ( looking for 10-12lbs boost), and I am going to a Pro M 83 and 42lb'ers... then a dyno tune by Cerra Racing. I'd like to see 450+ at the tires....might take a little more than what I've got but we will see!!!:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
You will see bout 12 PSI with the power pipe, my buddy has almost the same setup dynoed 456... My power pipe goes on tomorrow, should see 9-10 PSI 3.60 Pulley. [email protected] 80 goes on too. Anxious to see the difference. :joy:

·
Registered
707 Posts
According to Autometer, you only need the tach adapters for coil-on-plug ignitions.

·
Registered
684 Posts
No... all 96-98 Mustangs need 2 tach adapters.

If you have an older MSD DIS-4 box manufactured before April 2001, then only 98 Mustangs need the 2 tach adapters.

Been there, done that.

Later, Jason

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But is the install really worth the hassle? I can just plug in those coil packs... I reall only wanna use the MSD if I can use the 2 step to launch under boost...Has anyone done this??????

·
Registered
106 Posts
if anyone is looking for the correct tach adapters for a 98 gt/cobra i have them.. I dont think i need them w/ the speed pro set up and im willing to let them go cheep.. I'll know in a few days. Email me if your interested..
[email protected]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Of course you can launch with the 2 step, that is what it is for. I use it at the track all the time. Also, get a custom chip for your car with the rev limiter raised up so you can set your own rev limiter with the msd. You won't hurt the motor if you miss a shift, etc.
Bob

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just wanted to hear it from someone who is/has done it. I was curious if there were issues with the MSD "dropping" cylinders to maintain the RPM with 8-12lbs of boost being pushed in. That clears it up.....

And yes, Gabriel.....If you want to sell them PM me... I dropped you an e-mail.Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
You're saftest with the MSD approach to rev limiting, won't hurt anything. FWIW, when you are staged and have the 2 step button on, don't keep it floored for too long, you will dump a lot of unburned fuel out the tailpipes. I usually bring up the revs to a little bit higher than the rev limiter point instead of just flooring it. When the light comes down I then floor it at the last minute and let go of the button when I want to leave. If you have slicks you will certainly get a shock when you leave :)
Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts