Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've really been leaning toward doing this swap to a stick, but I have read somewhere in the forums that I will need to swap wiring harnesses, but now I can't find where I read that. It doesn't seem like that should matter?? I'm looking at getting a new T-5 & clutch, and all the other stuff used (hopefully not the harness though) The searches I have done in here say nothing about changing the harness.

Thanks for any info on this.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
i've done this conversion

the under-the-dash wiring is the same. in the aod cars, there are two taped up wires from the factory that you untape and plug into the clutch/brake pedal assembly that you install. This should get your neutral safety switch working.

however, the backup light harness is different, but it's really no biggie, and is quite simple. You'll need the t5 harness plugs into the main harness behind the dr side kick panel, runs under the door sill, under the carpet, wraps around the back of the front seat, then goes through the trans tunnel where it plugs into the transmission. its a very simple swap after you pull the seat out and the carpet back. If you want to mickey mouse it, you can cut the ends off of the aod harness under the car and splice on the t5 ends.

a lot of people don't even bother with the harness, and don't give a damn about the backup lights.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeremy- thanks for the info- I noticed another thread in a search last night where you talked about that harness too (after my post). I'm thinking of paying a mechanic friend to help me with this- any idea how long to tell him it will take (he's done conversions on chevys before, and I'm new to it, but mechanically inclined)? How much would a shop charge to do something like this (labor only)?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
i'm not familiar with labor rates, though someone on stangnet got charged $1100 for the conversion. It's not like a clutch job, there is a LOT involved. It's not really tricky though. I'm real, real good at yanking busted ass t5's out, and it still took my brother about a total of 16 hours to do this conversion, maybe a little less. Honestly, unless your mechanic can really hook you up, don't be intimidated. Sucker a friend into helping, designate a 3 day holiday, and do it yourself, you'll probably be done in 2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts