Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... may be time for a new tranny in the future... I know tremec is awsome, but im poor. Also will a Pro 5.0 shifter off of a T5 bolt on to a Tremec 3550? will my clutch, and everything transfer over to a 3550? I know I need a bellhousing and to modify the Cross member. but what else would I need to buy in order to swap.??

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I know what it is like to be poor....my T5 is dying too. If you are running any type of mods...don't bother with a T5 or T5z. Just save and get a Tremec.

If you rebuild the T5 your just going to end up killing it again - I am just being honest. The T5 is a weak transmission - always has been.

will a Pro 5.0 shifter off of a T5 bolt on to a Tremec 3550?
No, you have to get one designed for a Tremec.

will my clutch fit
Yup!

As far as bellhousings are concerned you cna get a housing from Tremec for like $100 bucks but I like the Lakewood one better it is about $300.

As far as a crossmember you don't have to buy a new one. You can go the cheap way and break the stock one and move it back - and re-install.

-Rob-
:evil:

·
Registered
784 Posts
You need to determine what your needs are before getting a new trans. A properly built T-5 can last a long time providing you don't feed it too much torque or abuse.

Most rebuilt T-5's have just had the broken parts replaced and are loose inside, these will break apart again since they have not been upgraded or blueprinted. Also even a T-5Z or clone is only good to 330 ft lbs of torque, any more will still break it up over time. I talked with Promotion powertrain for a while before deciding to go with a blueprinted T-5Z since I have a stock motor with some bolt on's.

The Tremec 3550 is based on the Tremec medium duty trans line, the TKO and variants are stronger versions. IMHO I would go straight to a TKO vs a 3550. If you are making good power, upgrading to a TKO is the way to go. And yes if you abuse them you can still break a TKO.

Some links

http://www.ddperformance.com/driveline.htm

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/home/home.asp (Tremec home page)

http://www.fortesparts.com/

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
T5 - T5z difference.

Just to answer your initial "title" question. Don't know about the Tremec, but the T5z has a 2.95 1st gear, and a .63 OD. The "regular" stock T5 has a 3.35 1st, and a .68 OD.

While I'm not pushing more than the z limit of 320 ft/lbs of torque, I really love the tranny. It doesn't even compare to my stock '86 T5. Power-shifting is a breeze, and I like the close-ratio 1st/2nd with my 3.55 gear - and am glad I have more OD for the highway cruising I do.

Not trying to talk you out of the Tremec - I know it's a great tranny - but on a near-stock street app. with no plans for BIG power - I'd highly recommend the T5z. (BTW - I've had it for about 5-years and 50,000 miles.)

Good luck! Mark

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
T5Z

I am the rep that helped out Chevy with his T5Z. If you have any questions you can contact me at 954-614-8089. Jeff

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So with the different ratio, how will that affect my driving?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Fusion 2002...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
So with the different ratio, how will that affect my driving?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2.95 first gear is "taller" - meaning you'll turn less rpms for any given speed compared the the stock T5 (3.35 gear). That being said - if you have your stock rear-gear (like either the 2.73 or 3.08) you will probably NOT like that 1st gear. Your car will bog (compared to the 3.35). I have a 3.55 rear-gear, so my new T5z 1st gear is pretty close (a little more gear) than my 2.73 / 3.35 1st stock gear setup - so it's a little better (for launching) than stock. This also puts 1st and 2nd gear closer together, meaning when you shift into 2nd, you don't have as much drop in rpm. If you run taller slicks at the track - I think most people will say you really need AT LEAST a 3.73 gear to have a decent launch. But 4.10s or 4.30s would be better.

Over Drive: Once again - the z-spec .63 OD is "taller" - meaning you will turn less rpms cruising on the highway. Before my 3.55 rear-gear swap, my car would run about 80mph @ 2000 rpms. With the new z-tranny, my car would run about 85mph @ 2000 rpms.

Hope that helped... Mark

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading a bit, and talking to a few people, I think that a T5z will be right for me. I only really drive on the street, I have 4:10's so the ratio shouldnt be a big problem. I guess I will be getting more useable gear than I have right now... I want a transmission that shifts smooth above all. I have heard that the Tremec 3550's tend to shift a little rough... Which is not what I want. So with that said, where Is the best place to get a T5z? Does anyone have a T5z part number for reference? And also, what exactly is blueprinting for a tranny? Would I be better off looking for one of those? and how much does a blueprinted T5z cost compaired to a normal T5z? thanks for the help corral.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
T5z

Don't know or haven't heard of a "blue-printed" Z. ??

Pick up a Summit or any Mustang catalog - Summit has them for $1110 right now. Direct bolt-in. I think you'd be real happy with it (shifts smooth) and it would be great with the 4.10s.

Part# FMS-M7003Z

Mark

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It's all in how you drive. I like my T5z, it shifts better than the stock transmission, and I prefer the closer gears. Then again I don't powershift much and don't run slicks. If you wear out your tires in less than 10k miles, it's probably not for you...

·
Registered
227 Posts
The T-5 x/z will last a long time if you don't power shift, use slicks or dump the clutch @ 3k every chance you get.

I've had a T-5x (same as Z except for a taper bearing) for 80k miles. From 280rwhp to 450rwhp and now 596rwhp. It's starting to whine a little now time for a rebuild or upgrade to a TKO before the turbo goes in. It's a sweet shifting box.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool, I found it in summit, but They dont say its a T5z.. They list it as a "heavy duty" T5 Is it one in the same?

·
Registered
227 Posts
get the part number.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes - that's the Z...

Look at the part # - FMS-M7003Z

1 - 15 of 15 Posts