Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new shoes on a month ago, and haven't driven the car a whole lot since then. I've done this before so I know to parrot them side to side and all that, but I noticed the drivers side getting warmer than the passenger side, and now, I'm damned sure it's sticking after i release the parking brake. You can feel the drag on the car when you go to get it rolling, and after a drive, it's hot and I can smell the paint on the drum. Not on the passenger side.

I used all new springs and hardware. I greased the little pads on the backs of the shoes, I adjusted them properly. I won't have a chance to look at them until this weekend but what should I be looking for? ****in' drum brakes :mad:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Check and make sure the spring isn't bound up or twisted in the groove for the parking brake. You might also want to take a gander at the parking cable going into that side to be sure it hasn't fallen out of the casters or isn't binding up anywhere after it leaves the handle.

Drum brakes do suck!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I twice had this happen. I had an axle seal leaking, and the fluid got between the pad and the drum. Nothing I did could get the pressure off- it was the surface tension of the fluid, or something holding it on.

Also, this past weekend in my sister-in-laws Grand Prix, the brake stuck on, just a bit. The cable wasn't releasing all the way. I finally got it to break free by pulling on the release as hard as I could, but it was not easy.

I'd check to make sure the cable isn't rusted up somewhere.

Ryan

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses so far. The axle seals are fairly new and were not leaking when I did the install. I'll check the cable but none of this happened until I installed the new shoes.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My car's been doing something similar to this for the past year and a half. When I take off the parking brake it feels like it's still engaged after I back up. I'll start to let the clutch out and you can feel the engine straining against the brake then if I put the clutch in and let the car roll back a couple of inches I can actually hear a small thunk and then it's free. Add on to that I get my rear drums locking up out of nowhere when I come to a stop on cold or damp mornings and it makes my car a fuggin' nightmare to drive. I think before the end of the month I'm going to take it to my mechanic and say "fix it" because I'm tired of screwing around with these drums. The next time I mess with them it's going to be to chuck them in a garbage can in favor of rear disks. Good luck finding out what it is and when you do make sure you pass it along, maybe it'll help mine out.

Carson

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
I can top that one. One day i heard a loud screeching coming from my right rear drum. Every time i hit a bump it sounded like all hell was breaking loose! I finally pull the drum out and a ton of little metal peices fell out! Seems like the bar and springs and other hardware for the parking brake FELL OUT! I was like "how the hell does that happen?"

Anyway i never put it back in and now my e-brake doesn't hold at all because of all the slack on that side.

I don't car because it's LSC rear disk time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts