·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 88 saleen and I blew something on the way
home. I had my wife following me and she said she saw a puff
of white smoke when I left the seller of the car. (I met him halfway
which was a hour ride for each of us). I got about 15 miles down
the road when I noticed the temp climbing and by the time I pulled over there was white smoke pouring from the exhaust. I left the car at a garage across the street from where I stopped, if this is a major repair I am a dead man because she didn't want me to buy the car in the first place.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked in my garage and have a felpro gasket kit for
the 85 gt I sold. The head gasket part number is 8458 pt-2.
Will these work? I'm not a mechanic but one of my friends is but
he is a gm guy. Is there a website that would tell me how to
check if it is the gasket and if it is what is involved and any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just replaced the head gaskets on my 5.0. It is a very easy job if you have the correct tools like 5.0Droptop said. But there are many other things that could have gone wrong to cause that. Are you loosing any anti-freeze? That would be a dead give away if it was a head gasket. Need more input on what car is doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife said she could smell the anifreeze as she followed me. When I saw the temp rising I pulled the car off the road as soon
as it was safe. There was white smoke pouring from the exhaust and the radiator was just about empty. Is there any thing else I can check?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If it's pouring that much smoke, it's probably the head gaskets. Something else to check though would be the lower intake manifold gasket.

Matt

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
saleen88 said:
My wife said she could smell the anifreeze as she followed me. When I saw the temp rising I pulled the car off the road as soon
as it was safe. There was white smoke pouring from the exhaust and the radiator was just about empty. Is there any thing else I can check?

sounds like a head gaslet to me......I would pull the heads....get your GM mechanic buddy to come over and help you out..go to autozone get a fel pro head gasket kit for your mustang and a haynes manual....folllow and record every step you take....did you drive the car real hard on the way home?????, otherwise there is no reason the gasket shouldve blown, unless your detonating........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked at the gasket set that I was given when I bought my
85 gt. It is Felpro # HS8548-PT 11 the head gaskets have part # 8548 pt2 on them and the intake gaskets are 901034 and 90361 there are 2 each of the intake gaskets. Will these work? If these gaskets will work what else will I need besides new head studs. I do have a 79-93 haynes manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts