Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyday I sit in my auto-cad bored out of my mind trying to find something to do. Every project given to me by the instructor takes me a quater of the time than the rest of the class. I would like to draft my engine block and maybe even the heads. It will be challenge but that will make it all the more fun. I was hoping that you guys could help out with providing dimensions such as cylinder width and height, block length, and all those other goodies. Hopefully there is a drawing with specs floating around there somewhere, if there is that will be most helpful. Well thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, have I stumped you? can I at least get the width of the cylinder or block length from anyone?:) Like I said my class is really boring with nothing to do:(

·
Registered
951 Posts
Here's a place to start.

http://members.tripod.com/torquespecs/mustang_1994-98_4_6l-v8.htm

Another site with lots of technical info is

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb40228.htm

These sites may or may not have info for you. But they may be a start.

Good luck. I know how it feels to sit there in front of a CAD program screen, knowing you have a ton of capability but drawing a blank when it comes to stuff to draw. I've got CAD on my home computer and figured I'd use it all the time. I've got my house floor plan in it and that is all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses... not quite what i needed but good information to have none the less. I'm going to search just a little longer and if i can't find anything i'll just draft an imaginary engine. Thanks for you help anyways!

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you are looking for the engine demensions, the basic demensions are in the FRP catalog, pg 111. Example:
4.6l V-8 Bore 3.552 stroke 3.5433 Bore spacing 3.9370 main journal dia 2.6572 rod journal dia 2.0863 con rod length 5.9331 crankshaft centerline to deck 8.9370

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, that info helps out a ton. unfortunately I don't know what it all means... kind of embarrassed to admit but how will I learn if I don't ask! What does main journal dia, rod journal dia con rod length, and deck mean? Thanks again!

·
Registered
545 Posts
MasonGT said:
Hey, that info helps out a ton. unfortunately I don't know what it all means... kind of embarrassed to admit but how will I learn if I don't ask! What does main journal dia, rod journal dia con rod length, and deck mean? Thanks again!
I think this correct but anyone else can jump in.

Bore and stroke should be a no brainer.
Bore spacing is distance from bore center to bore center for the same bank of cylinders.
main journal dia is the main bearing size that holds the crank.
connecting rod length is the distance from the rod journal center to the wist pin center.
rod journal dia is bearing size from the connecting rod to the crank.
deck is the top of the block along the cylinder bore axis or where the heads mount.
deck hieght is the distance from main journal center line to the top of the deck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts